Used 2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan Consumer Reviews - 741 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Still Strong at 100K
By joepawlicki

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My family has owned this car almost 10 years and its been an absolute champ. Other than routine maintenance and a few recalls, we've had to do a thing. Its been to and from mountains hauling kayaks, filled with dry wall and tools, and has been the primary delivery vehicle for our cake business.
The drivers sliding door doesn't open automatically anymore but to be honest, I cant complain given the amount of use it has gotten. This would be a great used car to purchase.

Power train is smooth and responsive. Ride quality is comfortable and quiet. Interior quality is top notch.

They did really well with the design of this car. No complaints.

2004 Sienna XLE at 180,000
By jnykodym

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This minivan still rides like a cloud.
Relatively minor repairs and maintenance: new timing belt at 120,000 and a warranty replacement of the rear gate lift pistons.
I will never go back to a small car.
At 180,000 miles it runs like new.
Very very very happy.
I expect to get at least 300,000 out of this van, very comfortably.

Acceleration and handling are great for a van. The turning radius is very tight. The climate control is very effective and the entertainment system is great.

Hugely disappointed - van was a lemon or possessed
By racecarmom

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We
bought our 2004 Sienna new.
In the first 6 months, we had to replace the battery, the armrest fell off and the spare tire holder broke after one use. In the next three years, the panels on the front doors slid down and trapped me inside - I had crawl to the back seat to get out.
My husband duct taped the panels on and no more problem - ugly but it worked.
Then the sliding door panel's lock didn't work.
You had to take a chopstick to hold the lock lever up until just before you closed it and then pull out the chopstick and slam the door.
Other things broke with light use. Door weatherstripping falls down. Engine ran but looked like a beater van.
Would not recommend this van.

It was reliable - that's it.

'04 Sienna LE 7-passenger
By jrobey747

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I recently purchased a used '04 Sienna w/122,000 miles on it.
I didn't think twice about buying this Sienna because of Toyota's reliabilty (we also own a '02 Camry w/175,000 miles on it).
The model we got is the LE 7-passenger w/leather interior.
It is a very comfortable vehicle to ride in and fun to drive, even though it's a minivan.
Other than some slight vibration in the dash the Sienna drives like new, very smooth and quiet.
My wife loves the right rear sliding door that opens w/a push of a button.
Although, I have heard of many instances when the chain breaks in that power sliding door being a costly repair (over $1400 I believe).
We love the minivan life!

Leather, moonroof, cd-player, storage, functionality, reliability, seating capacity

XLE Limited 406,000 Miles with only Minor Issues
By walleyeman57

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE Limited 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this van with 60K miles on it in 2007.
Since then I have put over 240 more.
This has been the most reliable car or truck I have ever owned.
The items I have repaired or replaced include tires, brakes, spark plugs, and two timing belts.
I had to have a new A/C compressor last summer.
Both power sliding door cables broke some time ago but I have not fixed them because the doors open and close with one finger-they are a waste.
This van still has the original alternator, starter, shocks, springs and of course engine and transmission.
It rides and drives nice with no real issues.
I would rate the comfort very good.
Well, with well over 400,000 this van remains a daily driver for our family. Three timing belt changes (two with water pumps) three spark plug changes, two radiators, a couple strut changes. I do a transmission drain and fill every year. This van just keeps on going. No rust to speak of-and we live in MI where our roads are heavily salted at least 4 months out of the year. It is almost scary that the alternator, starter, and of course engine and transmission are original . We still use this van for long road trips-but I did put the title in the glove box just in case we have to make a quick trade while far from home. My 92 YO mother comments that she loves the smooth and comfortable ride. This van has lasted more than twice as long as the two Dodge vans we had in the past (190K and 170K) and shows no signs of giving up. Yes, you do have to maintain it. I change the oil about every 5-10K miles in addition to the trans fluid changes. I add up what we spend on repairs and maintenance every year and it still does not make sense for us to lay out another $40K for a new one. I think Toyota never got the message of planned obsolescence. This van is used in mixed driving as we live in the country but travel to urban areas at least 3 times per week.