Used 1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Sliding doors Sienna stuck
By G

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Love our Sienna but the rear sliding passenger doors are a chronic problem. They are difficult to open from the inside as well as the outside. The knob in the interior gets stuck in the "in" position and thus will not open. On the outside we are now using only one door. The other is impossible to open. The frustrating part is that this is not an uncommon problem for the 1999 Sienna yet my incredible frustration with the dealers and Toyota on a national level who have decided that it is not their problem but the customer. Unfortunately having been loyal customers to Toyota and service we will seriously consider a Subaru or Honda on our next purchase of a vehicle. Just cattle at Toyota.

We were sold on this van because it drives very nice. Like a car and far more comfortable and superior to any other van that we test drove. We like the captain seats in passenger row. We liked the reliability and service until the passenger door issues arose.

Nothing only the acknowledgment of a defect on the 1999 Sienna Minivan passenger doors from the Toyota company. My shoulder is actually beginning to bother me. The one door that we can open takes 8 plus pulls before it will pop open. I am actually concerned about safety issues.

It just keeps going
By CVargas

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

We purchased this new and it currently has 257,000 miles on it. Recently replaced inner tire rods and that's all.

Reliability and comfortable ride.

Fold down seats weren't widely available when we purchased the vehicle but they'll be on the necessity list for next time.

Will it die?
By toyotasonly

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan LE 4dr Minivan

Bought this Sienna van used a couple months ago. After driving a couple of weeks the trans started making a grinding/whining noise, (shifts okay), almost like a bad differential. I took it to a trans shop where they gave me the bad news. Trans needs to be replaced; $1,400. Oh well, I'll keep driving 'till it drops. So far, 4000 miles and steady as she goes. I guess the trans repair will pay for itself. Having never owned a minivan, this one is a blast. This van never lets me down when there is somewhere to go; bad trans and all! I've never had a Toyota let me down yet; 98 Tercel, 05 Taco, 07 Yaris, 99 Sienna. Bullet-proof van, only had to do routine maintenance so far.

Jammin stereo for a van, radio buttons on steering, can be a cargo van with seats removed.

Turn on the wipers and get reverse, put into reverse and get wipers. Need to separate the distance between these levers.

1999 Toyota Sienna CE 4 Dr Van
By Jblieu

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan CE 3dr Minivan

This has been a very reliable vehicle. We bought this van used with 34000 miles on it. Although it is a CE it has many upgrades such as tinted windows, an upgraded CD system, etc. It currently has around 182000 on it and we have had no problems. It is a smaller van, which I happen to like, but it is laid out well inside. You can fit a surprising amount of luggage or groceries in the back, and you can stow things under the seats. The two sliding doors are great - no worrying about climbing and reaching car seats. If you are looking for a low maintenance reliable mini-van I highly recommend the 99 Sienna.

Its smaller size, storage under the seats, no expensive repairs, just routine maintenance. Nice interior. Easy to access back seat.

Tail lights are too low and dim. Poor turning radius makes U-turns impossible. Gas mileage could be a little better. Without snow tires the Sienna is useless in the smallest amount of snow.

Reliable and safe!
By Scott

1999 Toyota Sienna Minivan XLE 4dr Minivan

Bought our Sienna used 3 years ago, and have since driven 30K. This van has proven to be more reliable than other manufactures that our neighbors and friends have had. Other than oil changes, we've only replaced the front struts. The tire pressure light was sometimes a bother, but I figured out the reset by reading the manual. Unfortunately, my wife was in a head on collision, and it's unknown if our insurance will fix it or not. However, the airbag worked, and she was back to work the next day with only minor bruises. We plan to get another Sienna if we lose this one. Average MPG was 18, but we often get 25-26 on highway trips.

V6 performance, smooth ride, almost drives like a car. Center aisle with captain chairs. King of the cup holders! CD/tape combo so I can plug in my cassette iPod adapter. Watch your speed on the freeway!! Reasonable MPG for a van.

Better factory speakers. Lose the power door, as it's more hassle than it's worth.