Used 2008 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews - 121 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Engine failure at 138k miles
By tmaracle

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I bought brand new. Always kept up with oil changes. Mostly highway miles. A valve spring broke, hit the cylinder head which broke and destroyed the engine block and everything. For the dealership to build me a new engine is $15k in parts, not including labor. You can't buy new engines like ford and GM. I bought a used engine for $6k and the labor cost ended up in a bill for $9850. The new engine is not working properly but the dealership is working with me. I am disappointed. I wanted to keep this truck forever. Now I'm faced with a tough decision. I also lost 3mpg's. Now around 13.4 mpg's when I used to average 16.4.

Size, comfort and drivability

Sell assembled engines, improved strength of valve springs. Seal electronics on running boards to prevent corrosion.

Great & powerful SUV
By fortyniner66

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I love this SUV .Have had 3 4runners, Acura mdx among many other vehicles. Last year We sold our dodge mega cab 2500 diesel and bought a crv.
Last year we bought a boat and with several vehicles in our family already with kids driving we decided a used Tahoe or Yukon might be a option. We checked out the older sequoias however the power & towing stats on the 08 sequoia were impressive. We found a used sr5 with nearly all the options we wanted and fell in love with the car. Dream to drive..be realistic about the mileage ..it is what you would expect with the size and power..if mileage is your hang up you will want to pass. If you want power,space reliability and pure fun then give it a shot!

Great but a couple problems
By tmaracle

2008 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

We like this truck. I am encountering some issues.
I added the running boards with LED's underneath that light up when the door is opened.
The dealership is fixing them for the third time because the wires got corroded at the connection. It is not a water proof connector, bad design. I now also have a leaking oil pan. It appears to be the valve seal that is faulty because the hose and pan are oily.
Hopefully the dealership will fix both issues under the extended warranty. So far they told me the light bulbs are not covered. LED's are not light bulbs, they are diodes that rarely fail. This is an electrical issue. Is anyone else having problems. Albeit, these seem to be minor.

This is a great overall vehicle. I like the hands free, the sound quality of the stereo. It drives great, handles great and is relatively good on gas for its size.

Better connectors and wiring for LED's on running boards. Better valve seals in the oil pan. Bluetooth needs noise reduction features and maybe a better location of the microphone.

Good Family Vehicle
By mwaltjr17

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Bought this to replace a Buick Enclave.
There is a ton of room in second row, and third row (with second row seats moved forward).
I love being able to independently move each seat in the second row.
It handles much better than other vehicles its size.
We are very happy with this purchase.

Interior is terrific. Lots of storage options and cargo space. Very capable in bad weather. Power third row is very nice.

I'd like the ability to add more than one phone to the bluetooth. Nav maps need an update. Quick release on the middle seat (2nd row).

Love our Sequoia!
By Sequoia Rocks

2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4dr SUV (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

So, let me start by saying we have a 2004 Toyota 4Runner, with 130,000 miles. We have NEVER had any issues with it and it drives like the day we drove it off the new car lot. Since then, we've had 3 girls and grown to a family of 5 and needed something new. So, we made a mistake. We bought a Acura MDX. Sold it. Bought a Cadillac Escalade. Sold it. Finally came back to our first love Toyota and found the Sequoia used with 44k. In short, this thing is now a member of the family. Yes, Toyota hit a rough spot, but they are still Toyota. They will recover and the 2008 Toyota Sequoia has exceeded ALL expectations. Not enough time to list all the things we love. Find one used, buy it.

So quiet, so tight, so big, so perfect, love the Sequoia!

Seats could be more comfortable, that is truly my only suggestion. Get a freakin' pad, this thing is OUTSTANDING!