Used 2005 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

SR5 issues
By Jeff

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I ALWAYS wanted one, so I took the plunge. So far, the car has been a disappointment, but only due to small problems. These issues have included interior leather defects, headliner replacement, some minor body damage noticed at purchase, and a popping noise resulting from servos that "click" on at 25-30 mph which activate the VDSC system. This "click" sometimes feeds over into the audio system causing a "pop" in the speakers. The "click" is normal, but the "pop" is not. The dealer has been great with customer service and has always provided me with a vehicle while the Sequoia is in the shop. Evidently, the '05s & '06s have had more complaints about "weird" noises than any year model.

The interior is very roomy & I love the leather. Mine came w/ just about every option you could find, but I was really angry when I drove away & discovered that there were no audio controls on the steering wheel! You can rest easy driving b/c the safety features are the best in the industry.

When you pay 40K, a car should come well equipped. I thought for years that Toyota was too proud of the Sequoia. Toyota has an "option" for everything, which is why I've driven a Honda most of my life. It's also about time for a foldaway 3rd row seat!

Great Truck!
By execellent truck

2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned many different SUVs over the years, this is without a doubt the best I've ever owned. I had a Chev Blazer, Chev Tahoa, Ford Explorer, Ford Expedition and Jeep. Nothing compares to the quality of the truck. I have not had any problems in 35,000 miles. I would definitely recommend the SUV to anyone needing this type of vehicle.

Quality, Reliablity, and ride of the truck. 6 disk CD player is great.

Needs to have Dual A/C vents for the driver and passenger.

2005 sequoia
By jrodgers

2005 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very comfortable drivers seat. Have a back problem and traded in my 4Runner on the Sequoia. Big! Lots of room! Gas guzzler, but that is to be expected. Reverse detent not easy to get into. Gear shift on the steering column not a plus. Terrible turning radius. Excessive idle speed for about three to five minutes when first started. Could prove dangerous. Vibration at 30-50 mph when climbing a gently hill.Feels like a missfire, but the dealer here said all is ok. Park distance warning a must for this vehicle. Tires seem to lose pressure more quickly than other I have had. Have tire press. monitor system.

Driver's seat comfort. Room.

Engine idle speed. Sensation of a "miss" or vibration when climbing at 30-50 mph. Reduce the "bulk" of the vehicle. Closing the tailgate requires excessive force. Park assist should be standard on such a vehicle.

Nothing but problems!
By disappointed

2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Loved the truck until 5000 miles. Started sputtering and jerking under light acceleration while goig up hills. Dealer first said it was a computer problem. After three visits to the shop it became a transmission problem. The dealer replaced the transmission but the problem is no better. After two more days in the shop the dealer now says it is a "trait of the vehicle." Seems odd to me that two test drivers thought the problem was severe enought to warrant spending $3700 for a new transmission but now it is a vehicle trait! Truck is very uncomfortable on the interstate because every time you go up a slight incline or an uphill on ramp the car jerks and sputters. Nice trait Toyota!

rear view camera

Over Rated
By snoopy

2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded a 2003 Suburban. Would not do it again. The Suburban has it all over the Sequoia when it comes to bells and whistles. Very disappointed in the Sequoia. As for reliability, already the plastic connectors(a .05 cent part) on both ends of the latch rod have broken. The Suburban has more room and cargo space. I got better gas mileage on my Suburban than the Sequoia and the Sequoia is the Limited model. Although it is made in Indiana and my Burb was made in Canada apparently my Sequoia was assembled either on Monday or Friday. In 2007 the Suburban is supposed to have an all new look. I will probably be going back to a Suburban. After all the Suburban is the Grandaddy of SUVs.

The only feature I like on the Sequoia is the sound system with the in dash 6 CD player along with the cassett player as I have about 300 cassetts.

Do away with the LCD displays on the Mileage indicater and especially on the Radio. Both are hard to see in the daylight. Redesign the shift lever because when in Drive it partially blocks the AC vent opening. Too much plastic. All in all I think the Sequoia is overrated, even the Grill is plastic.