Used 2004 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews - 160 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Nice Large SUV
By nhtoyotaalways

UPDATE 12/2016.
Everything going along OK. Did have a damaged rear hatch when I tried to close it and didn't see a suitcase handle sticking up. Misaligned the door/hatch pretty badly - so much so that replacing the hinges did not work. Had to get a used hatch, hinges, etc, plus the paint-job. $1,400 later it is still not exactly a perfect fit but does close. So be careful and be sure nothing is in the way (upper) when closing the hatch.
Pulling a trailer full of furniture from hilly PA to NH it gets about 14 MPG.
Nice, SAFE vehicle.

Have owned nothing but Toyotas, from a 1979 Corolla to the 2003 Sequoia. Bought it to pull an enclosed trailer when needed. Wife fell in love with it.
This Sequoia was part of the recall for the rusted frame/underbody. It also recently was recalled for the faulty passenger airbag.
Put about 25K miles on it, and it did have an intermittent check-engine light on it - for evap issue i think.
Usually got 15 MPG with it, 13 or so when pulling the trailer. As high as 21.5 on a recent trip that was mostly highway.
Vehicle was rear-ended recently - probably a good thing we were driving this or could have had serious injuries. VERY solid SUV with good reliability.

Just O.K. at best
By jbradabadowski

2004 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My 2004 Sequioa with 130,000 miles isn't that great when compared to my 2003 Tahoe with 258,000. When comparing the two, the Sequioa isn't nearly as powerful, fuel economy isn't as good, and the towing capacity pales in comparison. The Sequioa doesn't ride or drive as well as the Tahoe. Many of the plastic pieces are falling of of the Sequioa, but I guess the worst thing for me is the drivers seat. If you are over 6 feet tall with long legs then you can forget about being comfortable while driving because the seat will not move back far enough. I will definitely buy the Chevy Tahoe again. It's a great truck. The Sequioa, I doubt that I'll ever buy another.

Exterior styling

More comfort, better fuel mileage, more powerful engine, better towing capacity.

Ours Went to Sequoia Heaven
By blessed1022

2004 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

What can I say - Loved our SR5 to death. June 2013 my wife and kids were in a bad accident. Rear ended and slammed into the back of another truck because the other car got so deep under the rear she couldn't fully stop. Bought ours on July 3, 2004 almost 9 years. We were never happier with another car. Planned on driving it until the wheels fell off. The safety of this truck left my family just fine. The frame stopped the other car in its place amazing. Wished we could have kept it but insurance claimed total loss. What a shame, cried for several days - seems silly but when you have such good memories with a car like this it's hard to let go. 155k+ miles and valued at $13k. Way to go Toyota!

Loved hauling a bunch of stuff for people. My wife and I always enjoyed serving for others since we had the ability. Great on long trips - kept up on the tires so ride was always comfortable.

THIS CAR SAVED MY LIFE!!!!!
By monique11

2004 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My 04 Sequoia was terrific. I put 200,000 miles on it & it still ran great. This car is fun, fast comfortable & safe. Not only does it looks great,
it performs excellent. It is 100% reliable inspite of the fact that I didn't serve it as often as I should've . In 2012 I had a serious accident in this car. I was driving 70 mph on the freeway downhill, "the bottom line," I lost control of the car which cause the car to spend in 2 full circles & ram the front end directly into the cement wall & it was total. I walked away with only a seat belt burn on my neck. The Hway patrol said he never seen anyone servive such an accident. My insurance gv me 15k for my lost which proves it holds its value.

Excellent choice
By spacelink

2004 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased our vehicle (AWD) off Craigs list from a dealer in So. California. It had 92,000 on it and is in pristine condition. We've had a 100,000 mile service done which included bumper to bumper service and the vehicle continues to drive like new. It was purchased as a replacement for our 1998 Toyota 4-runner with 250k on it was totaled by a friend. The Sequoia has more than we will ever need in a vehicle and we've taken two out of state trips with it. It has the room, the comfort and the separate temperature zones is something that definitely comes in handy. Our conclusion, we won't buy anything else. Other than the less than desirable fuel economy, its a great vehicle.

Heated seats, ease of access to buttons, moonroof, slide rear window, running boards for access, folding/removable rear seats, power connectors, large doors.

Gas mileage!