Used 2003 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Sublime
By Charlie

2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The Sequoia is very comfortable to travel in, has loads of room, but what really sold me were the comfortable reclining 3rd row seats. BTW, the seats in the Sequoia are not quite as short as most in the Toyota line. Gas mileage is not great - 15-19 mpg, but I can't pull a boat with an Accord. The V8 engine is a real jewel & smooth as butter, but does lack a little torque - not recommended for towing in the mountains - a fine SUV!

Whole vehicle feels like a swiss watch- nice leather, great 4WD in snow and ice, comfortably hauls 8 people (small folks in 3rd row is best). Quality, quality, quality & great resale value. Smooth & quiet ride too!

I wish Toyota made a turbo diesel. Engine is fine, but at 15 MPG, I want some more horsepower. The newer Sequoia has a little more torque & HP. Styling is not quite my favorite, but I'm still proud to own it and in no way regret my purchase. I'd but it again in a second- I drove EVERYTHING else!

very disappointed
By cjh

2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Serious drivetrain problems the dealer says that it's all in our minds. I have been through four sets of tires since May of 03. We have had the truck serviced on time, we have have to replace the brakes. We had problem starting two weeks after we purchased it. This is was a brand new truck with 20 miles on it the day of purchase. I will not purchase another Toyota. We were in the market to purchase our daughter a car, but it will not be a toyota now.

The Sequoia needs to go back to the drawing board to work on front end problem. You need to find out why are the tires wearing out so fast.

Excellent SUV
By Reese's Mom

2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have been extremely pleased with the Sequoia. I bought it for safety (for my daughter) and for it's beautiful design and powerful maneuvering abilities. Mine is black with dove gray leather interior.

4 wheel drive, leather seats, heated front seats, airbags all the way through, very comfortable, very smooth ride for an SUV, climate control all the way to the third row seats.

Needs to be equipped with better tires, they don't last long. Navigational system should be standard.

Electrical Problems galore
By Atlanta ALA

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Comfortable SUV; easy to handle; Unfortunately we have had persistent electrical problems that the dealer has been unable to repair, or at least repair properly. At times the headlights would not turn off or if turned off would automatically turn back on. The rear window got stuck a few times and would not function. Overall, it could be a great SUV, but for the money it was very frustrating not being able to get it properly repaired. It is our understanding that the dealer called Toyota a time or two for help.

Rear window that rolls down (when it worked). 3rd row seats could be moved up or back to created more leg room.

Easier to access 3rd row from 2nd row. I like Fords electrical fold down 3rd row and that it folds flat - Toyota needs that for better storage.

Enjoying my car
By LMari

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Love the ride. Husband 6'5" likes it better than his Surburban. Although he hits the button to open the rear window w/his knee. I've had it aligned three times because of a pull to the right. I couldn't take my hands off the wheel or I'd be in the other lane. The fourth time I went to another Tire Kingdom and it seems to be fixed. Gas mileage isn't the best 14.5 in the city and 18 hwy. I love sitting high on the road and I never thought I'd be a SUV person but I enjoy the Sequoia. I put wedged small mirrors on my side mirrors and after getting used to them I don't cut many people off! Keyless entry pads are stiff and stubborn. I've had them replaced once and it's time again.

5 CD player. Rear AC - Kids love.

Fold-in-Floor seats like the Surburban. Removing them is a PAIN. No lighted mirrors is a joke on a $40,000 car. Clock too low in center console. After I added the wood grain I can barely see it...Could of put it in the radio display.