Used 2003 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

A Mom and 2 Teens
By DonnaJ

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I Love my Sequoia!!. In the snow, I feel safe because I am confident that I can control the car as long as I drive appropriate for conditions. I taught 2 teens to drive it. We moved across the country with the car loaded with "stuff" and 2 dogs and still had room to stretch out and sleep. Changed the oil every 3K miles and serviced the car per recommendations and it still performs great at 90K miles. To date, the only problems we've had is the latch on the tailgate and the cd player had to be replaced. I wish the gas mileage was better with the price of gas rising but I'm not trading it in yet! Getting to the 3rd row of seats isn't very easy.

The ability to change the seating configuration is probably my favorite feature. It allows me to carry large objects, lots of kids and make long trips more comfortable to name a few.

Improve the gas mileage. Offer bucket seats for the middle row and the ability to remove the middle row of seats. It's hard to put in a TV.

Engine Issues
By mcgeem1

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It is embarassing to drive this car on cold mornings. When it is below 40 degrees out, the motor sounds like there is no oil in it. It taps so loud that people look to see what the clatter is. Toyota corporate claims that this is normal but they will not put it in writing. This vehicle drives like a luxury car. The motor is peppy. The handling is responsive. The moon roof squeaks a lot. the dealer allegedly replaced something but the visible components still had wear marks after the alleged replacement. I think they greased it. it was quiet for about five months. There is also a loud cracking sound from the front end that the dealer has not been able to find (under warranty)

Stability control Panic stop braking. (I used this once and it saved a herd of deer, not to mention my car)

Provide a switch to turn off traction control and stability control. I can not enjoy this car off road, nor can I do donuts in the snow

Great vehicle even after 3 years
By Lori

2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

The Sequoia has been a wonderful vehicle since date of purchase. I have had no problems with performance or reliability. The car fits 6 adults comfortably - even in the 3rd row seat! Plenty of cargo space with the movable 3rd row - the leather seats with heat in the driver and passenger seats are a nice touch.

Heated seats, radio controls on the steering wheel, spacious center console storage, power sunroof.

A mute button for the radio would be a nice touch.

Great Vehicle
By J Pruitt

2003 Toyota Sequoia Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned the Sequioa for 2 1/2 years. NOT ONE PROBLEM. Just routine maintenance (rotate tires and oil change). No rattles, no squeaks, no loose fitting trim. The quality is A+. I will only buy Toyotas if they are this good. Gas mileage stinks---15/mpg-- --BUT I KNEW THAT WHEN I BOUGHT IT. This is a great vehicle for showing real estate to clients, transporting softbal teams, soccer teams, cub scouts etc. I also feel safe when driving on the daily life/death roulette of Houston's freeway system.

Quality.

Make the gauges (odometer, speedometer, etc.) with a white backround---they're hard to see when wearing sunglasses.

Silly Quality Problems in a Great SuV
By dwingate

2003 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used from a respectable dealership. This SUV does a great job towing my 3500 lbs. trailer. But, in the 8 months that we've own the car we've had broken Interior Door handles on both driver and passenger side, faulty gasoline tank sensor unit, and rear brake drum retention pin which came loose and eventually chewed up the brake shoes and drum. This is my 1st Toyota and compared to my Honda Accord I'm surprised by the Silly Quality problems which one would not expect in a High Priced SUV like this, which I've had in this relatively short time. It's making me wonder if I should have bought the Pilot?

The Sequoia came prewired for the electronic break control needed to toe the trailer. It made it easy to hook up the Prodigy controller.

I like the Extra Large Moon Roof, but I find that I have to drop the back window down a little bit to keep the wind noise down if I ever want it open. Unfortunately, when you accelerate hard, like going up a hill, the exhaust fumes coming into the car become overwhelming and everything gets shut.