Used 2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV Consumer Reviews - 301 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

SUPER SUV!
By Nicole

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our Sequoia pre-owned last year, because I was tired of driving a minivan (have 3 kids) so still needed the room. Love it! It is very roomy, has leather and power seats, 6 cd changer and it's not even a Limited. The rear seat is nice, they can flip up and forward, like the roll down back window too. Do need a better way to get to 3rd row, though. I can fit a car seat, booster, and my oldest all in the second row! When we decide to trade-in my husband's van, we are definitely sticking with Toyota!

Comfort, 6 cd changer, sitting high, classy style!

Needs better brakes, sometimes doors are hard to open by kids, better access to 3rd row.

Very Happy
By Richard

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We have owned Toyotas or Lexus' for many years. We have a tacoma, 4Runner, Sienna, and now a 2003 Sequoia. I LOVE this vehicle. It handles great for such a large machine. Steering is tight and easy, breaks work smoothly, the interior design is excellent. No complaints! JBL sound system rocks! Smooth over bumpy roads.

Comfortable front seats.

Sun visor could be a little larger on SR5.

It's Okay
By CypressTX Driver

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It's okay, my wife loves it and it is her car. To date no major problems with it, we've only had it for a year. There are a few things that don't work the way I expect them after driving domestic vehicles all my life but I can't say they're done wrong. One nice thing is it gets pretty good mileage for a large SUV. Over all the vehicle has no personality. But so far it has been reliable and the wife likes it.

The 4.7 V8 seems well matched to the vehicle. It has plenty of power to get the truck going.

More leg room. Also more lights when I open the door. Make the dash easier to see, stuff hidden by the steering wheel.

Unhappy
By william hester

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This Sequoia has been a real disappointment. Bought new, and have been paying for problems ever since. Bulb that used to illuminate the D on the dash when car is put in gear burned out. Surprise, this is an $85 repair at the dealer, plus cost of the bulb. Brakes are inadequate and require routine pads and rotors way too often. Figure $400 every 30k miles here. Timing belt and water pump at 90k miles, another $700 plus. Note, others use a timing chain, which doesn't require routine changes at premium prices. A/C has also gone out, as has rear hatch window motor. Toyota's Toyota will do nothing about the defective designs. My first and last Toyota for sure.

Size. Stereo sounds pretty good. Wheels look OK.

Design flaws are numerous. It should not require a trained technician two hours to change a lightbulb.

Still like my tahoe
By KIFER

2003 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My wife and i just had our first child, I had recently owned a 99 tahoe with about 100,000 miles on it... time for a trade in. The toyota's mpg is a joke I am no hot rod and I am getting barely over 10mpg. I assumed buying a foreign car the fuel econony would be much better than that of a domestic. The comfort and handling of the sequoia is great. The interior dash and controls remind me of the 80's.

The posi-lock four wheel drive extra large moon roof

Fuel mileage, rear "trunk" handle, fuel sending unit,