Used 2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Consumer Reviews - 198 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

02 Sequoia
By L.M. Smith

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is another outstanding vehicle from Toyota. It's great on the highway or off roading. Drive it to the symphony or take it into the mountain tops of New Mexico. The complete vehicle!

The view or visiblity is great.

None

Not your favorite toy. Beware!!
By redmanct

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Purchase the suv with 69,000 miles. My wife had been on me about one so I got it for her. First the rear window motor went out. The reason I purchased it Edmunds had such good ratings and it's a Toyota. Now at 82,000 miles my transmission went out while my wife were driving it. (@ 82,000 miles) I will never buy another Toyota. Very disappointed.

Folding mirrors, sound system, room.

Mileage is the ONLY downfall
By Pam

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My Sequoia has been a delight from the very first day. My friends assumed from the look, feel and ride of it, that it was new. I certainly didn't correct them!! On highway trips, it rides like cloud. In town, it handles and responds very well. The gas mileage is the single issue I have with it. I average approximately 16 mpg. Wish it were 21 or more. Love it anyway!

Seat comfort. The amazing ride. Ginormous second seat.

Move the seat heater buttons. I turn them on accidentally all the time. That's not too spiffy on a hot July day in Texas...

Not impressed - what next?
By Very high maintenanc

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Lift gate window motor went out right after warranty expired, 3 years old, I've replaced all the interior door handles because they broke off ($100 a pop), constant brake problems, $500 avg price to fix every time the rotors have to be machined and brake pads changed, which is about once a year. I've spent about $4000 in repairs due to poor build.

Bury 3rd row in floor, fix the problems with the door handles.

2002 4WD Sequoia
By Prefers Harleys

2002 Toyota Sequoia SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new in 2002 and now have 110K miles on vehicle with little problems. After 2 years, rear window got REAL sluggish, so we left it up for a year afraid it would break. Toyota told us they had replaced a lot of motors. Waited one year, did nothing, works fine now. Too big to really go brush busting but wife likes it. I prefer my 1985 Land Cruiser. Parking brake stinks and truck lurchs forward after applying brake on slight incline. 3 weeks after brake service can drive 55 mph with parking brake on before realizing it's on. Sister bought an 06, no parking brake problem. Mileage improved after 100K. Now we get 16.6 mpg in Georgia. Only get 6 mpg pulling 3500 pound boat though.

Removable seats, storage capacity.

Better parking brake - appears to be fixed in newer models. Manual windows. More ground clearance for off road. Why pay cost of FJ Cruiser when you can get the Sequoia for about the same. Too plush to be off road vehicle and is better suited for highways.