Used 2001 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

2001 Sequoia Quality
By Ray

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My 2001 4WD Sequoia has 110K miles and is driven in town by a soccer mom who does not go off road. So far these parts have failed: both front wheel bearings, the rear differential, rear window motor, LF window motor, A/C (compressor, evaporator, and something else- been to dealer 5 times for a/c problems). Engine has had oil replaced every 4K miles and has a knock in it. All failures due to faulty parts. I am thankful I invested in the platnum 0 ded bumper-bumper 100K mile warranty. The driver side seat is designed to wear a hole in the side (90K miles) from getting in/out. Gas mileage avg 12-18 mpg. Toyota Corp customer service not helpful. No problems since last major repair ~80K mi

This may sound funny, but besides the problems listed the SUV is solid. Very comfortable and smooth on the road, long or short trips. Handles well on turns. Other equivalent SUVs had cheap interiors - the interior of this SUV seemed to be hand-assembled. No rattles. Seats 8 comfortably.

I am disappointed in Toyota quality control. They need to provide oversight on this vehicle like they do their other cars. Toyota needs to offer optional seat covers or redesign front driver seat to prevent wearing.

no cash
By wasted money

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This was a great vehicle when purchased. We average about 11000 miles per year. At the end of last summer the air conditioner went out at the tune of $2500! No recall just a service bulletin. Yeh ok - No help either from the dealership. Now the suspension is wearing out at the tune of $500- after 52,000 miles. This is a daily driver truck driven by my wife. Buyer beware. For a $45000 plus vehicle when new and make sure you figure in your maintenance costs. Or make sure you buy that extended warranty (that I usually don't believe in) I thought Toyota meant quality.

Size

needs to be more durable and reliable for local driving

Sequoia -Great car
By Diane SS

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

When we first bought this suv I thought we had made a mistake because of its size, after a short amount of time I loved the size, comfort, power and ride. This is a safe suv to drive and is easy to manuever in traffic, the pick-up is great. I would buy another Sequoia.

The power of the V8 engine and the safety it provides. The seats that can be removed for extra cargo. And the large seats that are very comfortable.

The only minor adjustments are the lack of mirror lights on the visors, no radio controls on the steering wheel and no automatic lights. This is a surprising lack of perks since I bought this car at the top of the price range (@45,000).

This is a great car
By kathy

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We have three boys and two dogs and this is the perfect car for us. It rides like a car, but has so much power. We have towed a travel trailer across 5 states with it like a breeze. We are a tall family (my 15 yr old is 6'5") and this Sequoia is very comfortable for all of us to ride in. Even the 3rd row seat has adequate leg room. We have been very happy with this SUV.

Easy, smooth ride & comfortable.

If only it could get better gas mileage. 16-17 MPG isn't bad for its power & size.

sequoia-owner for 4 years
By Kittridge

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Just an average SUV, with some annoying issues, like brakes that need replacement too often, doors that won't stay open and a poor speaker system, lack of ease when trying to get to the rear seats

doors, gas mileage, speakers,