Used 2001 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

Ride in style
By J C Renger

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

My Sequoia is used for personal and business driving. People are always asking what vehicle is this, how do I like it, how is my fuel economy. I let them know it is a Toyota Sequoia, I love it, and I have 2 wheel drive, get 15-16 in town, 18-19 on the road. When I tell them it is a 2001, they cannot believe it. I pride myself on this vehicle and maintain this vehicle through the Toyota dealership. I have attended several business meetings and the majority want to ride in the Sequoia when we travel to restauarants or other areas. No doubt in my mind, this is the vehicle to own, even if it is a bit pricey. It is worth it !

Dual AC, and the comfort.

Keep producing quality.

Comfort Cruiser and its a Toyota!
By Loftonfan

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

A good all around vehicle. Have owned this vehicle for a little over a year and the only thing I have had to do is change the oil twice. It drives so smooth that you had better use the cruise or you will be seeing the cherries and berries in the auto-dimming rear view mirror. The sound system puts the Bose in my Acura to shame. Easy to install a receiver hitch and wire harness for a do it yourselfer. Enough power to haul a built up CJ-5 and a massive carhauler over Vail and Eisenhauer Passes at the speed limit. The rear seats all have plenty of room for even the tallest passengers. The center console is huge! Can have two mountain bikes with the front wheels off standing in the rear

The clean, elegant lines of a this sophisticated looking SUV. The quality of the interior makes the Tahoe/Yukon and Expedition feel cheap. Drives like a luxury yacht-smooth and steady. 18 mpg for a V-8! Plenty of power. Room for the extended family. LATCH for child seats. 3rd row easy out/in.

Two things - first, the little plastic plugs that cover some of the screws in the plastic trim - where did they go? They just disappear and are seldom found to be replaced. The second and by far most irritating is the outside mirrors vibrate as you drive making it difficult to see and use mirrors.

Good SUV But Needs Improvement
By Bob

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased a first model year Sequoia new. The vehicle handles great in snow. The high road clearance and 4 wheel drive will get you through any weather condition except icing conditions. The front and second row seats are comfortable for adults. The third row seats are only suitable for kids. I don't think that the reliability is up to what you should expect from Toyota or a vehicle costing just under 50K. The brake computers went and it took three weeks for Toyota to figure out how to repair it. My 4-wheel drive just died. The throttle computer broke. I have had to spend about $3,500 a year for the last two years in repairs. Interior creature comforts are lacking

All weather ability. Plenty of interior room.

1) Lighter easier to remove third row seats. 2) Driver seat memory. 3) Move the door mirror control from between the front seats to the driver's door. Ladies place their handbags between the seats and the mirrors move. 4) Offer a backup camera or radar system. 5) Improve rear storage bin cover.

GREAT SUV FOR THE PRICE
By Lisa

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this car the month it came out! Except for some early brake problems (which the dealership changed for free a few times), the car has been totally reliable, has a nice perky pickup for the monster it is (6,000lbs), and is much roomier than the Lexus 470 or the other same-size options. I would have liked fold-flat third-row seats and a DVD system in the rear for the kids, but as I only really use the second row of seats every day, it's not a big deal.

The body shape. The color (silver). The pickup.

A real metal bumper would be nice, considering how many people bump into me (have replaced bumpers 3 times--none my doing)! Front and rear-bumper sensors would also be an improvement. DVD players and better sound system might be nice. Fold-down-flat third row seats. An XL version with more space!

2001 Sequoia owner
By brian

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Love it! It has been a perfect vehicle for family of 2 kids and a dog.

Very agile and has a pretty soft ride for something so big

Creature comforts need to catch up to others in it's class.