Used 2001 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

I love my Sequoia, but......
By Noelle

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It's been a great car. Probably should have gotten the leather seats for a little more comfort. We live on a hill so we have to replace the brakes about every 10,000 miles. Also, the rubber paint around ALL my windows is peeling off. I brought it to the dealer but they said I was out of warranty. I was a little shocked at that. It wasn't a cheap car. So now my wonderful car has peeling paint around ALL the windows, exposing chrome. But overall, it's been a wonderful car. I'd take it anywhere assuredly. Other than that, the functionality has been really great. Dependable. Wished it looked as great as I feel about it.

Room in third seat. Comfy ride. Reliability.

Make the heating/air conditioning fan softer - somewhat annoying. Better paint around windows - better warranty on such a nice vehicle. Backup sensors should be standard. Since it's such a heavy vehicle, it could use better brake pads - something more heavy-duty.

Big mistake
By aaa

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

First of all, I am an experienced mechanic. My wife wanted this car for the kids, she likes it. When I drive this truck here are the things I find wrong with it: right rear blind spot, you have to fold down the right rear seat to see your blind spot and to reverse, brakes issues (2 sets of pads & rotors in 1 year) suspensions is very poor, interior is cheap, as far as engine and transmission goes Toyota's quality is there. Other than that I would rather buy the Yukon or Tahoe, it's a much better quality truck thank the Sequoia any day. If you have the money to spare, then buy the Landcruiser of which Toyota put a lot of quality and it's day and night compare to this piece of junk Sequoia

Not much feature here, just a basic truck. Toyota did not put much effort into this truck.

Overall, we love our Sequoia!
By Taylor

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

In 2 years of ownership, we have had no major problems. It carries our family of 5 plus a ton of luggage w/o breaking a sweat. We love the huge moonroof, the 6 CD in-dash changer, the power of the 4.7 L V-8. We have taken it down dusty desert trails to visit ghost towns and up mountain paths w/o so much as a hiccup. There are a few gripes, however - the tail gate refused to open not long after we bought it and we could hear broken parts rattling around inside. The transmission sometimes clunks when we're at a stoplight and it feels like we've been bumped from behind. Both rear passenger doors refuse to stay open on even the slightest incline, and the rear cubby hatch cover pops open.

After 160,000 miles, the engine is as smooth and tight as the day it left the factory - no leaks, drips, or oil consumption. Accommodates the whole family + luggage comfortably. Goes anywhere (mountains, desert, snowy roads) with ease. MPG is reasonable when you consider all it can haul.

Improve tailgate, passenger door, and storage hatch cover design.

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
By Brett

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my Toyota and it already had 80K miles on it. I used it to tow my G35 coupe on a car hauler from Michigan to California. Probably was approaching the max tow capacity of the Toyota but it pulled through like a champ. Even through the mountains of Colorado it pulled fine. It is a great drive and very comfortable as well as roomy. Tremendous quality and peace of mind with this vehicle as I would expect from Toyota, particularly in the fit and finish. No rattles, no funny noises of any kind. At over 90K miles it drives like new. I would buy a Sequoia with 100K+ miles on it before a new domestic any day... very unfortunate for the American companies.

Freakin' HUGE SUV! Great ride quality, excellent fit and finish.

I would say MPG but hey, IT'S HUGE, so what do you expect?!

I love everything about this vehicle
By Glad I found it

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle has never let me down in any way. I have had it for 7 years (I never keep a vehicle that long!!) and there have been zero problems. I have driven many vehicles and owned all brands in 40 years of driving - this one is without a doubt, the best!! I am waiting for the day that the 2008 hits the dealerships.

Looks and performance. Sits great and the compartments are all handy.

Navigation and I wish that a product similar to "On Star" would be a possibility.