Used 2001 Toyota Sequoia Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Sequoia

View reviews for a specific Sequoia model:

toyota sequoia
By ralfynika

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It is a very reliable SUV. it is fun to drive and when you push it you can hear that iforce 4.7 v8 roaring down the street. This SUV can last you year and it not a very high maintenance car. This are made to be off road and right now i got 20 inch falken rims and when i bring it on the grass or dirt it preforms like a monster.

iforce 4.7 v8

it has good features

Great SUV - top of the class
By seth w

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I love this SUV, in 2001 it was ahead of its time. The ride is so smooth and the comfort is not matched by any! The leather seats are comfortable and I love the DVD system. I'm a sucker for accessories and this one is loaded out! Only problem I have had from me or the previous owner is the back latch and window motor had to be replaced. Very satisfied!

Room, leather, jbl dvd system, dual air, removable 3rd row seats, mpg, moon roof, styling interior and exterior

Brakes are a little tight and the latch seems to be a common issue for the back hatch.

I love my Sequoia, but......
By Noelle

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

It's been a great car. Probably should have gotten the leather seats for a little more comfort. We live on a hill so we have to replace the brakes about every 10,000 miles. Also, the rubber paint around ALL my windows is peeling off. I brought it to the dealer but they said I was out of warranty. I was a little shocked at that. It wasn't a cheap car. So now my wonderful car has peeling paint around ALL the windows, exposing chrome. But overall, it's been a wonderful car. I'd take it anywhere assuredly. Other than that, the functionality has been really great. Dependable. Wished it looked as great as I feel about it.

Room in third seat. Comfy ride. Reliability.

Make the heating/air conditioning fan softer - somewhat annoying. Better paint around windows - better warranty on such a nice vehicle. Backup sensors should be standard. Since it's such a heavy vehicle, it could use better brake pads - something more heavy-duty.

Big mistake
By aaa

2001 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

First of all, I am an experienced mechanic. My wife wanted this car for the kids, she likes it. When I drive this truck here are the things I find wrong with it: right rear blind spot, you have to fold down the right rear seat to see your blind spot and to reverse, brakes issues (2 sets of pads & rotors in 1 year) suspensions is very poor, interior is cheap, as far as engine and transmission goes Toyota's quality is there. Other than that I would rather buy the Yukon or Tahoe, it's a much better quality truck thank the Sequoia any day. If you have the money to spare, then buy the Landcruiser of which Toyota put a lot of quality and it's day and night compare to this piece of junk Sequoia

Not much feature here, just a basic truck. Toyota did not put much effort into this truck.

Overall, we love our Sequoia!
By Taylor

2001 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

In 2 years of ownership, we have had no major problems. It carries our family of 5 plus a ton of luggage w/o breaking a sweat. We love the huge moonroof, the 6 CD in-dash changer, the power of the 4.7 L V-8. We have taken it down dusty desert trails to visit ghost towns and up mountain paths w/o so much as a hiccup. There are a few gripes, however - the tail gate refused to open not long after we bought it and we could hear broken parts rattling around inside. The transmission sometimes clunks when we're at a stoplight and it feels like we've been bumped from behind. Both rear passenger doors refuse to stay open on even the slightest incline, and the rear cubby hatch cover pops open.

After 160,000 miles, the engine is as smooth and tight as the day it left the factory - no leaks, drips, or oil consumption. Accommodates the whole family + luggage comfortably. Goes anywhere (mountains, desert, snowy roads) with ease. MPG is reasonable when you consider all it can haul.

Improve tailgate, passenger door, and storage hatch cover design.