Used 2013 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Air conditioning is awful
By emput

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The air conditioning is awful in this car. There are no vents for the back seat and therefore my hands are numb from the air conditioning while driving yet my daughter in the back seat is dripping in sweat. We bought this car in the winter and wish we had been aware of this. We asked Toyota about it and all we got is the car is small enough the vents weren't required. Well they went the cheap way and therefore it is awful to drive with passengers in the summer.

We also had both metal bars that adjust the seats break already. You would think with a semi nice car the seats could be motor controlled. Other than these 2 big discomforts we like the car a lot.

1 Year, 15,000 mile review
By limasawa

2013 Toyota RAV4 LE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We compared this car to the nice '14 Forester and bought this for its interior design and Toyota reliability.
I'm not sure I would do it again.
I'm 6-4, 225 lbs, and 53 years old & need a car that is higher, easy to get into, and gets good MPG.
This RAV4 is high enough, but the shape of the front door causes me to have to contort my body just a bit to enter.
I do have plenty of room in the front and my knees do not touch the dash.
But, the car feels cheap.
The hood vibrates/shakes on certain kinds of rougher paved and dirt roads.
The silver & "graphite" trim both scratch really easily.
Car handles well, though the ride is stiff.
Speakers are much worse than Camry, more like Corolla.

Fuel economy! 33-35 mpg on the road, 28 in my rural-urban commuting. Fully loaded, bike on back, 4500 mile camping road trip got 32mpg. Ability to change transmission mode (regular, economy, sport) is very cool and helpful. Be smart & use it. Smooth shifting transmission. Handling is very good. Love the graphical display of fuel economy. Rear camera is good (and needed since rear visibility is poor). Bluetooth is very good for my Windows phone. USB is great for playing my music. Seats are high & reasonably comfortable. Rear seat recline is excellent and it folds very flat & the seat drops. Excellent a/c. The high center a/c-heater vent that can be opened to the back is good.

Make interior trim more durable, less easily scratched. Remove light grey trim on top of dashboard that causes significant sun glare. Soften suspension a bit. Change hood shape so it doesn't shake while driving & so it does not cause unexpected, very disconcerting water blasts shooting up onto the windshield during braking. Improve all speakers, especially rear. 2nd gear is too high and does not slow vehicle down to 25-30 mph on steep hills. Transmission sometimes auto downshifts on slight downhills, hurting fuel economy. Increase the payload back to previous model rating of 1150 lbs. Headlight cut-off is too sharp with a distinct line. Make alloy rims standard.

2013 Rav4 Limited
By desertgolfer

2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have had this vehicle since August 2013 and have had absolutely no issues with it. I was somewhat surprised at some of the reviews in this thread as I have owned many Toyotas and have never experienced a problem they could not fix. I live in Arizona and we may have smoother roads than some of the cooler weather states, but I have found the Rav4 ride to be exceptional for this vehicle class. The features available on the Limited are outstanding, everything works perfectly and I love the versatility of the transmission.
Heck, you can treat it like a manual and in Sport mode that is fun. Bought it at end of lease!!

Toyota radio do not buy until they fix known issue
By imshybabe

2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I just bought a 2013 Rav4, the volume of the radio goes up, down and also sounds muffled at times. If you plug your ipod, it stays in loading mode with out playing. It will also go off or the screen goes blank in the heat. The volume jumping up is startling and my 7 y/o says " stop that mom". When I take it to the dealer service dept. this is a known issue and the fix is usually to replace the radio. They said they replaced the radio, it continues to do it. I have been there 4 times and they do not know how to fix. They should fix this before putting them on the market for sale. This is a defect. I have concern for the longevity of the car. I have lost trust in Toyota, will not buy another.

Back up camera, side detection, sporty, spacious and the rear reclining seats.

There is not all 4 hooks to use a cargo net in the trunk (only 3 hooks). Do not continue to make and sell defected electronic radios. Since the cars have to be all electronic and if the radio can not work right it gives you pause what else can go wrong electronically speaking. My family has always been fond of Toyota, this has let me down and I will not purchase another.

Barely average
By katekebo

2013 Toyota RAV4 LE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned the RAV for about one year. I bought it based on previous experience with Toyota vehicles and a good trade-in offer I got from my dealer for my previous car - my net-out-of-pocket on the RAV was ~$2-3k less than other comparable CUVs.

After one year of ownership the best I can rate this car is "average". The only real positive is the amount of cargo and passenger space. In every other area the car falls short, especially comparing to competition. It's noisy, has a very stiff and uncomfortable suspension, safety ratings are mediocre (below key competitors), transmission behavior is strange and disconcerting, mileage is OK but not outstanding. Bottom line - just average.

Lots of space, reasonably comfortable seats.

Crash test ratings, ride, noise, ...