Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Dreary, dreary dreary
By Honest Abe

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Owned for 6 mo; traded in and GLAD! Stripped appearance inside and out. No rubber cladding to protect lower part of car. Almost all other SUVs have this. Lousy sound system, mpg worse than stated; quirky transmission: car rolled backwards when in drive but going slow. Had to step on both break and gas to keep from going downhill. Service department in constant hissy fit and very unhelpful. Given recalls and safety issues, do not buy this car at any price.

Seats fold flat; rear door instead of hatch; roomy for hauling

Better sound system; fix transmission quirk; resolve acceleration issue. As far as little metal "shim" in gas pedal, no one knows how this will wear over time even if it fixes problem. Think logically: Why spend ANY money on a brand new car with so many issues? Why not just buy some other car?

A set of tires makes a big differance!
By James G. in Michigan

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this SUV for 7 months now. Its is winter in Michigan, and the Bridgestone tires that came with it are so-so in the snow. I purchased a set of Michelan All Terrain Tires. What a huge difference. It feels like I drive in 4x4 mode all the time. No matter how much snow we get, I just drive like there is none. I always use Michelin tires on my 4x4's. Plus no recall problems so far. My wife is the primary driver and I know she is safe driving this on the road.

Heated seats, JBL stereo, Bluetooth, V- 6 is super fast, Good gas mileage.

None at this time.

Recall Jitters
By Ellen

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is a magnificent car inside and out. Rides like a dream. Much better than CRV. Interior is laid out much better than any other small SUV. Joy of ownership blunted by Toyota woes. What a shame.

Interior space, quiet, efficient engine, amazing MPG

Remove all visible "Toyota" logos

Spongy brakes
By Joe Dallas

2009 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have been driving it for 5 months now. It is reliable so far. The I4 has enough power to get into hwy and passes. The folding backseat flat the trunk and accept large stuff. It average local 23 and highway 26 MPG. One thing that alerts me is it has spongy brake and can be very low when press it (about 1" from the floor). It takes too long to actually feel brake taking effect. A large foot may actually touch the gas padel unintentionally. It brakes fine though. Checked with the dealer service and was told "this is by design and it is normal." Thinking about the gas padel recall and then adding this spongy brake, the feeling is not very comforting. Generally it is a good car.

Overall usability

The back seat head rest is not comfortable. The sheetmetal is so thin that you push a dent by your thumb.

Toyota Rav 4 Limited Updated Review--B+
By Randy

2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Given my model is now part of the massive recall related to the sticky accelerator problem, up to this point I've had no issue with a sticky accelerator. But, it certainly is on my mind now everytime I drive, which is unfortunate. Anyway, the only areas that have decreased in my liking are related to the gas mileage and exterior finish since my last review. In Oct., I was getting 24-27 mpg, now with nearly 5,000 miles, I am now getting 20-23 mpg with no major changes in my driving pattern. Very disappointing. Also, I notice the seals on the door/window jams leak cold air allowing me to feel a noticeable chill, and the road noise has become much more noticeable.

Steering and handling are still great, and the suspension still absorbs bumps while driving, and has handled great in the snow using 4-wheel drive. Cargo room continues to be spacious. The XM satellite sound still prevails over the weak FM reception, and Bluetooth and Push-Start have been awesome.

Cup holders continue to be a nuisance, and although I don't find a problem with ride comfort, my wife complains of it being uncomfortable from the passenger seat, especially on longer rides. I'm also going to get a deflector to minimize how easily the paint chips, but the salesman warned me of this.