Used 2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Love my RAV!
By Judy

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2009 RAV4 Limited with 4wd is my first RAV, but will not be my last! I have owned two Jeep Grand Cherokee Limiteds previously, but didn't need a big SUV any longer. The size is perfect. It handles so well--a joy to drive. I really love this vehicle and highly recommend to anyone looking for a smaller SUV.

Handling, size, 4wd, Bluetooth, keyless entry.

I was disappointed my RAV limited did not have HomeLink with garage door opener. Not a fan of the outside spare tire. Afraid to park in streets of Chicago because of vandalism to the spare.

Buy Cheap, Buy Often
By JHol

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

The old saying goes, "Buy cheap, buy often." I purchased this car less than a month ago with Toyota in mind of having a reputation for reliability that is second to none in the industry. That was the main reason for looking at Toyota, even with the whole recall mess. I verified my model 2009 with vin starting with "J" was not part of the recent recall. We took the car on a road trip and got amazing gas mileage. I have the 4-cyl model and it was perfect. Plenty of room and even more incredible is the seats in back are adjustable and will slide back to maximize leg room. Great idea Toyota! Love the car!

The back seats slide back to maximize leg room. Lots of storage compartments. Gas mileage is great for a vehicle this size! Not a dog either, good acceleration. Little mood lighting at night in center console area.

I agree with most, the carpet is rather poor on this vehicle and hard to clean. You really need a strong vac to clean it.

No recall but beware
By Ricky

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My wife was picking up son from school in this vehicle and car accelerated with her foot on the brake. Took car to dealer and was told it was from Japan and no problems had been reported and no recalls we in effect. They did mash brake to try and duplicate problem but refused to replace anything. My wife and daughter get carsick so I have to ride in back seats when we travel as a family. Front seats are comfortable but rear is stiff and hard to adjust. We have bought 3 new Toyotas in our lifetime but this was our last. My wife was mad and scared after her experience so we traded for a Chevy the next weekend.

Lots of engine power for a 4 cyl. We averaged 27 mpg. Lots of storage in rear compartments because of outside spare tire.

Make safety number 1. Make back seats a little higher and softer. Put real carpet in. I don't know what that stuff is but its hard to vacuum.

Dreary, dreary dreary
By Honest Abe

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Owned for 6 mo; traded in and GLAD! Stripped appearance inside and out. No rubber cladding to protect lower part of car. Almost all other SUVs have this. Lousy sound system, mpg worse than stated; quirky transmission: car rolled backwards when in drive but going slow. Had to step on both break and gas to keep from going downhill. Service department in constant hissy fit and very unhelpful. Given recalls and safety issues, do not buy this car at any price.

Seats fold flat; rear door instead of hatch; roomy for hauling

Better sound system; fix transmission quirk; resolve acceleration issue. As far as little metal "shim" in gas pedal, no one knows how this will wear over time even if it fixes problem. Think logically: Why spend ANY money on a brand new car with so many issues? Why not just buy some other car?

A set of tires makes a big differance!
By James G. in Michigan

2009 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this SUV for 7 months now. Its is winter in Michigan, and the Bridgestone tires that came with it are so-so in the snow. I purchased a set of Michelan All Terrain Tires. What a huge difference. It feels like I drive in 4x4 mode all the time. No matter how much snow we get, I just drive like there is none. I always use Michelin tires on my 4x4's. Plus no recall problems so far. My wife is the primary driver and I know she is safe driving this on the road.

Heated seats, JBL stereo, Bluetooth, V- 6 is super fast, Good gas mileage.

None at this time.