Used 2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Great Safe Vehicle
By KarenP

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I would just like to share that the 07'Toyota Rav4 Limited with the third row seat provided excellent Safety for myself and my daughter who was sitting in the back seat behind me. While sitting at a traffic light, we were hit from behind with another vehicle traveling at 50MPH. The Rav4 did what it was designed to do and that was to protect the integrity of the interior while the outside of the vehicle crumpled around us. The vehicle was totaled, but myself and my daughter walked away with only bruising and whiplash. I was so impressed by this, we purchased the same vehicle, 08'Rav4 Limited with the third row seat to replace the totaled one. Would highly recommend for safety!

The Premium sound system, dual air, Blue tooth and stereo controls in the steering wheel. The 6cyl has a lot of power! The leather seats are very comfortable even on long trips.

Arm Rests. If you are thinking of purchasing this vehicle I would suggest the Limited edition. The Base model is just that, Basic.

Reliable but the good ends there
By unhappyRAVdriver

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Four-wheel drive automatically disengages at 26mph and the salesperson did NOT point out that feature. Vehicle is the noisiest and worst riding I have ever had and I've driven SUVs for 20+ years. Front seats are unacceptable; very uncomfortable, short--cuts across the back of the thighs--and they don't adjust back far enough for me, a 5'6" driver. Very unhappy with this vehicle and I won't buy Toyota again.

Reliable and good mechanically. The V6 is snappy.

Better sound proofing, improve the ride, improve the 4-wheel drive, redesign the front seats.

Love my RAV!
By c. fougner

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Great vehicle! Safe, fun to drive, great fuel economy and, of course, amazingly reliable like all Toyotas!

Lock in 4wd should stay on up to at least 35mph. It pops out at 25 mph, and even on the worst days 30 mph is a normal speed.

Good and not good points
By DonH

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

First of all the bad. Road noise on this car is excessive and the ride is not good. I wasted money by putting the premium sound system in it. Unless it's parked you can't hear it very well. I've had trucks made in the 80's that had a comparable ride. You feel and hear every bump. I see that the 2009 reviews noted similar issues. It's a car that's used by my wife and the interior carpet looks like it's 5 years old. There is no reason for it except for very poor quality. The seats are not very comfortable. The good is that mechanically it's a very good vehicle. That's mainly why we bought it. Just make sure you can live with the other issues. Maybe the Limited version has better sound proofing.

Good mechanically.

Better sound proofing, improve the ride, better quality carpet.

Irritating issues make this a 6.0
By Kevin

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Toyota, after years of Ford ownership. I'll be going back to Ford as their build quality and value for money are better. I like the fuel economy, load capacity and power, but the body styling is awful, the radio is tinny and cheap, the tires didn't last and the traction control is absolutely awful - when all four wheels are spinning (like when you're stuck in snow), the TC cuts power to the engine meaning you can't "bully" your way out of the snow. I need chains to get out of my own driveway! My Ford Escape had no problems at all in the snow. Overall this gets a 6.0 and I'll not look at Toyota again.

Engine power, cargo carrying ability.

The radio is just unbearable. The last time I had a radio this bad it was am AM set built into a 1980 Chevette. When I complained about it the dealers comment was "they used cheap speakers, so there's nothing we can do". The tires only lasted 40k, which is junk for a car this high priced.