Used 2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Pleased Overall, With Some Caveats
By daveinNJ

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Took over the lease on this car. Engine is powerful but vehicle does torque a bit when accelerating quickly. Quiet enough on the highway but the audio system is poor. Nice high driving position. Interior is versatile; seat fabric in Sport Model is very thick synthetic something or other. I like this car much better than my old g'friend's '08 CRV EX-L. Some small things left out, e.g., no light in glove compartment. Looking forward to replacing the OEM tires (Yokohama) - they're not great. Easy to back up for an SUV - spare tire helps you gauge how close you are to whatever's behind you. If I can find a way to upgrade the stereo, I'll definitely by the car when the lease is up.

V6 and 4WD. Roof rack for my bike rack. Sideways rear gate works fine - better than lift hatch. Lots of space. Rear seats recline and slide fore and aft - very cool. Tinted windows in back. Tie down hooks in cargo area. Flip over the cargo mat and it's rubber - prevents things from sliding around.

Tune the stability control to prevent torque steer. I hesitate to use all the V6's power because the car does a weird front-fishtail move. Light in glove box. Make the seat fabric more comfy. Put a slit or hole for the AUX cable to your iPod from inside the armrest. Make a backup camera standard!

Will not buy about another Toyota
By J shafer

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

First off, I've had three yodas: 89 corolla 214,000 mi, 95 Camry 250,000 mi and this rav4. The rav just feels cheaper: the paint has way to many chips, the transmission is horrible, rough ride in the city, the stereo sucks, interior is loud, not enough room in the driver (I'm 62" 200 lbs) and passenger seat, we are expecting our third child and have to buy three new car seats because the second row is so narrow and it just doesn't feel like it is going to hold up. Now the good: zero problems in the first three years (of course it's just past the three year mark), awesome second row leg room and cargo, great in the snow, gas mileage is decent, and the wife loves the second glove box.

Reliability, gas mileage, cargo area, 4wd

Toyota stop being like Chevy and Dodge and go back to being "TOYOTA!" I will not buy another toyota. I am so unimpressed with this car I've actually looked at "gasp" VW's.

RAV4
By Lene

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

V6 is very peppy engine. CONS:Driver's seat does not go back very far. I'm only 5'6" & I would like more leg room. Since getting the car I have always noticed a humming noise whenever I'm accelerating & at all speeds, but especially between 40-45 mph. It has never impacted the performance of the car. I just took it into the dealer to address this sound. The dealer confirmed it IS a problem with the Rav4. They will be replacing the L side engine mount, rear engine mount & L side drive axle damper. They said IF that doesn't do the trick it will have to get a new transmission! What a surprise that was! Thank goodness I took it in before the warranty expired! So be aware...and listen.

I like that is handles well and is extremely responsive. Love the configuration of the back seats and the way they fold flat.

Driver's seat needs to slide back farther. Rear windshield wiper is hard to get, only available at Toyota dealer & is expensive. I found I can just buy the rubber piece and that is simple to replace. It should be made available elsewhere like other wipers.

Good Vehicle but Overpriced
By Ken Hartley

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

OEM tires worn out at 37,000 miles. More noise than I would like on concrete highways. Wind buffets when windows are down to the point they have to be rolled up. Rear seats not very comfortable.

Power and reliability.

Better Tires, more sound proofing, ability to remove roof racks, replace oil filter canister with screw on type oil filter, put dual exhausts on RAV, add padding to rear seats. make a (real 4 wheel version) and real all wheel drive version.

I would prefer to buy
By Suren

2008 Toyota RAV4 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I like this SUV, more comfortable and fun to drive. I have Sport V6 with 3.5 L, excellent pickup.