Used 2008 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota RAV4

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Fun and Versatile RAV4 Limited V6
By hkwilson1977

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the RAV4 right before Labor Day weekend. It's one of the best cars I've owned, so far. The V6 is extremely powerful. When you really punch it, it can feel almost dangerous due to the torque, so be careful! :) Gas mileage is averaging about 22 mpg. Overall, this is an awesome vehicle for our family of 5. No regrets, I would definitely buy one again!

Powerful V6 engine that gets nearly as good of gas mileage as the 4-cyl, roomy interior, 3rd row is great for the kids, tight turn radius, practical yet fun to drive.

Steering responsiveness feels a bit "numb". Addition of an A/B button for the power driver seat would be handy. Higher quality interior materials. A little more sound-dampening material would be nice.

Problems with brakes and rattles
By Unhappy Owner

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first Toyota I have ever owned and will probably be the last. I have only had it for 2 months and I have lots of complaints. There are a lot of rattles coming from the dash and when I took it in of course they said they were not out of the ordinary. But, a bigger more serious problem is that the car has shut down on me twice while waiting at a red light. I have had to take the car in 4 times and they have put it on the computer and have not been able to duplicate the problem. They told me it's the traction sensor and that I am putting extreme pressure on the brakes which is causing the computer to think I am stopping suddenly and shutting down the engine. Is that nuts?

Spacious, comfortable, nice ride, peppy

Fix the traction control system and make the ABS brakes not so sensitive that the car shuts down.

Happy owner
By Tim Toews

2008 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought our Rav 4 after having a 06 Tacoma and very impressed with it. My wife loves it. The ride is good, the power is exceptional, and the fuel economy is right where we need it. We got the Sport model so we got the 18 in alloys along with the leather and moonroof options, the heated seats are nice in the winter.

Heated leather seats, fuel economy, power, looks, comfort, pretty much impressed with the whole lot.

Better sound system. Better placement of heated seat controls, cup holders to close to controls. Aux plug needs to be on console not inside the cd holder, I guess the 09 have changed that.

LOVE my new RAV4 Limited
By jude

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had it less than a week and couldn't be happier (so far). I had test driven six other vehicles from Subaru to Honda to Jeep, etc. It is such a comfortable drive, esp. with the power driver's seat that includes lumbar support. I find the ride to be quiet and it accelerates quickly. I absolutely love the design of the dashboard and the displays. The leather wrapped steering wheel is wonderful and it can be adjusted easily. This vehicle has far exceeded my expectations, esp. after having driven six others.

Power seat, adjustable steering wheel, dashboard, plenty of room and lots of storage from front to back, quiet ride, gas mileage, great acceleration, rear door entry, push-button back row seats lay-down, lumbar support... too many to mention.

Again, I have to say, "so far". I would have liked at least 3 months of Sirius radio and of course I wish the gas mileage was in the 30s.

Happy owner
By Frank

2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It was 10 years since I bought a new car and I chose the Rav4 over the CRV after careful consideration and driving the V6 version. I needed a new car for a newly emerging family so I needed something more useful than a 2 seater truck and Miata. I required fuel efficiency and a healthy reliability rating so Toyota and Honda were top of the list. I chose to get an SUV over a car because of the utility factor (I also have 2 big dogs). I can't comment on reliability yet but I am in love with this vehicle.

The V6 engine! And plush interior (fully loaded Limited version)

I would have liked the fold down arm rests, panoramic rear view mirror built into the sunglass holder and a more featured informational computer like the CRV has.