Used 2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 304 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

T-SB-0094-11 Engine Oil Consumption Engine Problems Engine Noise
By curramba

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our Vehicle: RAV4 4-Cyl Limited (As in Limited Quality)
Our Dealership: Colonial Toyota of Lincoln RI.

This is my wife's daily driver. After 50k miles, the vehicle
has the following problem:

Technical Service Bulletin (TSP) T-SB-0094-11. About a month ago the engine light came on, after running an oil consumption test on our vehicle, the service manager said that it “only” burned 1 quart of engine oil in 1000 miles, which they said was within specifications. This I do not buy given my 2003 Honda Accord LX with 165,000 miles, had never had engine oil consumption issues.
The engine output power seems to be in declined. The engine noise within the cabin is worst than my Accord!

None.

Stand by your products Toyota. Instead of fixing the problem, Toyota is having their service managers mislead their customers. I did not waste my time arguing with them given the fact that our vehicle is out of warranty. I'm upset that we were treated so disrespectfully. No more Toyota for us! By the way the TSP above also address other popular Toyota models like the Camry.

VERY GOOD VALUE
By kenbowls

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have 2.4 l 4 cylinder and very little problems,
Radio replaced in 1st year, tires at 30,000 miles, but otherwise, have 42,000 miles on it and love it,
Hauls a lot with back seats folded down, 8 chairs, furniture business and a handy hauler for small loads.

room, gas mileage, 23 in city, 28 on highway.

drivers seat to go back a little further and eliminate back spare tire on back door.

Never again will I buy a RAV4
By mommao

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a Toyota because of the reputation of reliability. This was my first brand new car, I took care of it especially because I wanted to hand it down to my daughter (just like the commercial right?). Unfotunately, I'm not even done paying it off and it needs a new engine. Soon after I bought it I realized I had made a mistake, but it was little things that bothered me, I felt I didn't get much for the price I paid, and it wasn't all that great on gas. Now with the engine going, I am extremely unhappy with my purchase and most likely will never buy another Toyota.

Sharp looking exterior...that's about all I like about it at this point.

Better engine!! Uncomfortable for taller people. Back door should be a hatch instead of opening from the side. Dial no longer works for the heat/air. Windsheild wipers have had to be fixed twice because they got stuck halfway up. side mirrors freeze in winter (should have a defrosting element).

It will get you to where you need to go but not much else
By cato1998

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my RAV 4 for 5 years now and it's the 3rd Toyota I've owned ('91 celica and '00 celica being the others). All my toyotas have been really great on quality. I bought this RAV 4 because of it being more practical than my 2000 toyota celica I traded it in for. The RAV 4 can get me through the midwestern snow storms without much problems (big problem with my celica). It gets great gas milage for a SUV but the RAV 4 is pretty vanilla. Not really exciting to drive. It will get me to where I need to go but that's about it.

-Great gas milage. I get 22 mpg in town and 28 on the road which isn't bad for a small SUV. -It gets me through the snow drifts in the winter and traction on icy roads. -Quality! The only quality issue I've had in the 5 years I've owned this is the water pump leaking at 34000 miles. Because it was still under the powertrain warranty, it was replaced at no cost. Other than that, I've had no problems with this car.

-Road noise! I have to have the radio up LOUD to hear it over the road noise when cruising at medium or higher speeds. Yes the road noise is that loud! -Cheap interior materials. LOTS of hard cheap plastic! -Hard seats make it uncomfortable for long trips. I put the car on cruise control and stretch out my legs and try and move around in my seat because it gets uncomfortable. -Side opening tailgate. It takes up a lot of room to swing the gate open. If you have cargo that you are trying to haul that is long (such as lumber), you can't extend it out the back because it isn't a hatch back type. Not a very practical design.

High pitched sound on 40 mph+
By ToyotaOwner

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm just writing to say that yes, my 06 RAV4 has the high pitched noise at 40 mph. It's been going on for years now - and the sound continues sometimes up into the 60s. Extremely annoying. Also, I have a hum that is constant when idling. Windows stick into the runner - had them replaced once. But issue has returned. Rav4 is noisy, I agree. These little annoyances are causing me to look into another model. Seats are like sitting on cardboard...wish they were more plush and comfy. I get GREAT gas mileage though. Taken trips and once got 31mpg - usually highway driving allots 26-30 mpg and in town 23-24 mpg. Great vehicle - just the constant, daily noises are wearing on me.

Dog friendly - particularly small dog.

Make the seats more comfortable, please.