Used 2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 122 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

212000 and goin strong
By over200000

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've been through 3 sets of front brakes 3 sets of tires, 2 water pumps and I think thats it. Just regular maintenance keep this little guy going. Oil changes every 7-10 thousand miles, radiator fluid flushed once a year, trans fluid changed every 50,000 miles. Thats about it. Just installed new struts and shocks long over due made an amazing difference in the ride. Oh I did have to have the Air Sensor thingy replaced it wasnt cheap like 350. The sensor light kept going on the dash.

Gas mileage I'm getting 26-32 a gallon. Yes allot of hwy.

N/A

A Great, Reliable Vehicle
By tuttman

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased new in 2005. Good power and performance. Gas mileage was as listed until year 2-3. Now averaging 22-23 MPG, but not bad for an AWD. Now after almost 7 years and 69,000 miles, it's never needed anything but normal maintenance. Extremely satisfied with my RAV4. Brakes lasted almost 60,000 miles w/auto transmission! Paint and interior still in almost like new condition. The only issue is an exhaust "growl" at low RPM's. Not a big deal. Road noise is a bit loud, but the stereo works great to cover that. I love this car and would highly recommend it.

Best Car
By Orin Beitlich

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first Toyota ever and I wished I had done it sooner! I now have reached 100K miles and it runs the same as when I bought it. I have never had any major problems with it. Front brakes around 50K and regular maintenance at recommended mileage. Original Tires replaced at 36K which is better than expected. BF Goodrich now have 64K and still good tread. I have never done a wheel alignment on this vehicle. I have tracked my mileage and it was exactly the 24 MPG overall that Toyota said it would be. It is only FWD so in winter I take it easy but this has been a very reliable vehicle for us. The utility has been great and removable seats are wonderful. I am very satisfied with it.

Removable rear seats

Full Rear bumper and rear door opening direction, ie up instead of sideways.

One of the Best Cars I've Ever Owned
By David Chase

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new and except for routine maintenance have never had a problem. My daughter was taking the car to college so I called a local Mechanic to see have the car checked out - I was concerned that the car had a serpentine belt that might need to be replaced. They informed me that the engine had a timing chain (lasts longer) and that the car wasn't scheduled for its first tune up until 120,000 miles! I purchased this car at the same time I bought a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser - I made sure to purchase Toyotas that were made in Japan, not the U.S. (both were). I have had zero problems with both cars.

Roomy interior, great gas mileage, reliability

Upgrade the sound system, work on dampening road noise, smooth out ride

Replace water pump!
By Rav4 Owner

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Rav4 brand new in 2004 which is a 2005. Have had no major problems with it except for replacing the water pumps constantly! They are made very cheap, and its not cheap to replace either. And rear breaks are for sure bad as well like previous reviews have stated. Also, when it rains the car does not stay put on the road.