Used 2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 122 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

SUV Heaven
By Cindy

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've wanted an SUV for a few years, but I didn't know if I could handle an SUV, being only a little over five feet tall and driving only small cars. The Toyota Rav4 is the one I settled on once it was time for the big purchase. Driving a Rav4 is like driving on a cloud. It handles smoothly, maneuvers effortlessly and is a joy to drive. I would recommend the RAV4 to anyone contemplating that first time SUV purchase.

I love that even though it's considered a compact SUV, the rear seats are removable as in the bigger SUV's and vans for more cargo room. Also, I love watching the rear wiper do it's thing in rainy weather.

Personally, I don't feel I need to make any improvements. For me, my RAV4 is the greatest thing as I have it right now.

Great Car
By Al

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car couple of months ago for my wife. She loves it and I drive it every chance I get (or excuse I can come up with). Rav4 is a fun car and I researched many months before decided to go for a 2WD automatic. Living in California diminishes the need for 4WD and plus I can save more money on gas. So far I get 21 MPG and this is mostly city driving. Curtain air bag was very important for me, so I had to move up to “L” and few other options since this was the only one on the Dealer’s Lot with side/curtain airbags.

Test drove many cars and Toyota Rav4 stands out for most fun to drive. The visibility of the surrounding is great. It is quite and has a good gas milage.

Some choppiness due to wheelbase being so short, but you get a good turning radius. Need to make the windshield in the back as a glass door like Honda CR- V. The back door is heavy and opens up too wide.

Love it!
By Kelly

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I did extensive research prior to purchasing this car. I was wise in my decision to buy the RAV4. 1st, it gets great gas mileage. Very important when you're paying $3 a gallon. I get 20 mpg. 2nd, It's a smaller SUV, but, it is very spacious. I managed to carry an 8 ft. treadmill in it. 3rd, it's sporty and SO much fun to drive. And it's really CUTE! It really doesn't look like the SUV's out there. You're higher up than in a car without being in a hulking, gas guzzling SUV. Last, It's a Toyota. It's got a great warranty, and I expect I will be driving it when it's 10 years old or older with more than 100,000 miles on it. I highly recommend this car.

The windows are large, and you really have a good view out of everything around you. Everything is easily accessible and it's spacious and comfortable. The nooks and cubby holes throughout keep my normally messy car neat and tidy. The removable rear seats are GREAT and easy to manuever.

Make it available with leather seats. Other than that, I think it's perfect!

Best Small SUV
By Allie

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is my third Toyota, and my second RAV-4 - I previously had a 2003 2WD model and decided to upgrade to the 2005 4WD "L" model. I couldn't be happier! The engine was improved in 2004 providing more horsepower which completely removed the "gut-less" reputation the RAV-4 had. This vehicle has plenty of get-up-and go for a 4- cyl. SUV! Stylish and fun to drive, while achieving high safety and reliability ratings. The standardization of anti-lock breaks and the additional air bags make the "L" model a top choice!

The overall-look and styling of the vehicle itself - very sleek and sporty. Interior controls are all easily accessible and user-freindly. Imporved horsepower, additional stability control and safety features a plus. High reliability and resale value another reason to seriously consider Toyota.

Window tinting is a great feature, but would be nice if the front driver/passenger windows were a closer match in tinting to the rear windows. I had front windows of my solid-black (color-keyed) RAV custom tinted. Looks sharp, keeps down glare and keeps vehicle cooler.

In the top percentile for sure
By deeman

2005 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

One really can not complain about Toyota performance and value. It's a tough market out there today with all the mini-utes and I don't anything will be disappointed with owning a Rav4. The driving experience is excellent. The manual transmission is definitely the way to go for fun driving and acceleration. The AWD system is the best in class.

Engine, Acceleration, Handling, Build Quality, Driving Fun Factor, Gas Mileage, Much better looking than CRV's, resale value, low cost of ownership, nice roof racks, dealer and service professionalism, functional interior ergonomics. Better performance and price value than all American mini SUV's.

Toyota has fallen behind with the rear design internally and externally. They must emulate the Nissan X-Trail and Kia Sportage with the fold down seats, Rear Door that opens UP with a window that also opens. The Toyota, Honda, and Jeep rear door with the wheel has got to go. Steel wheels must go als