Used 2004 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used RAV4 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

My favorite car ever

Kate, 09/25/2009

In the last ten years I've owned a Subaru Outback, a Volvo wagon, a Honda Element, and now this little Rav, and it is by FAR my favorite car ever. I love the lumbar support in the seats, the Euro-style look of the dash and the way the dash lights dim automatically when I turn the headlamps on, the way my body is situated in the seat in relation to the windscreen and moonroof, the fantastic visibility, the way it maneuvers on the road, and that it can fit my whole family and I can still park in compact spaces in the city. Mine is the automatic L series with leather interior, sea foam green and tan leather, prettier than it sounds. I would buy it again in a second.

Great car

Runner, 03/03/2009

Fun little SUV. Handles well in all weather conditions. Perfect size car for kid to learn to drive and be safe. Small but roomy. I get 32 MPG around town.

Love this car!

Erin, 05/03/2006

I have driven this car for two years now and I can't imagine myself driving any other car! It's one of the safest out there, I can personally attest for its front impact safety, I'm still here and thankfully my car could be completely fixed and its as good as new! I love it, and recommend it to anyone out there! It's awesome for college too! Traveling back and forth on breaks all the time it's easy to fit all I need in this car, it's the perfect size!

Happyowner

Happyowner, 07/01/2008

Best and smartest vehicle I have ever owned. Very reliable, economic to drive. The size is perfect fit to park in garage and parking spaces. Has great pickup when needed on the highway.Plan on driving this vehicle for long time. Would highly recommend this to any individual or small family.

Solid Vehicle, Some Issues at 78K

Jerry, 09/13/2010

Our 2004 Rav 4 has been a very solid performer and been reliable until today. At 78,000 miles (we just learned) the steering unit is leaking, the front brakes need rotors turned and pads replaced (2nd time). Also the water pump is leaking. All told - it looks like Toyota will charge $1200 to get things fixed. These are the first issues we've had, so I can't complain too loudly. Savannah Toyota has exceptional service and sales staff - so we don't mind supporting their business.

TASHAS RAV4

cameron, 12/28/2004

So far put 8600 miles no problems to report to date, Awesome fuel economy for the type of vehicle avg 26mpg. Typical Toyota fit and finish and quality. Previous Toyota had 180000 miles without breakdowns and parts from the factory are very reasonable certainly cheaper than our Honda, also lot easier to maintain, don't have to take half the dashboard apart to change the a/c filter like our previous CR-V.

Comfort, Reliable, Safe and low maint

djay, 04/01/2010

I was researching for more than 2 months for buying a nice preowned car. My search ended with finding this gem at a good price. First priority was safety of my family and myself. Full marks to this car for the curtain airbags, anti-skid and all wheel drive. In deep-snow,icy conditions this car feel very safe and secure to drive. Highly configurable interior. the second row of seats comes off giving you a lot of hauling area. Was able to get furniture for an entire bedroom from ikea due to this and saved a lot of $$. Overall fun to drive on weekends with the family. Seats are well supported and interior is luxurious

Raves about RAV

Baldy, 05/10/2006

It drives more like a sports car than an SUV. I can park where you can't. In spite of the small, nifty handling, I can get some amazingly big items in it.

Love my rav4!!!

MYRAV4, 01/31/2007

Traded in my smaller Corolla(which i loved too!) for something with more storage and head room for child car seats. Also appreciated the AWD! Wanted something with the similar features to my corolla and i got better!

Gen 2 Rav nicer than Gen 1 but -Quality

Canada Rav, 09/13/2010

I have two Gen 1 2L Manual AWD Ravs. This one is nicer. More room, more storage space, more comfortable, more power, quieter, better fuel efficiency (~ 500 km @ 50l on the 2l Gen 1's and ~ 560 km @ 50l on the 2.4l Gen2). The extra 0.4L makes a big difference. I especially like the way the engine compartment is laid out. Much more room to work on the motor. My only complaint is the drive by wire accelerator pedal. I find there is no fine control at low speeds so low speed creeping, driving is not intuitive. It is certainly a step backwards to go from cable to potentiometer with respect to feel and man-machine interface. BAD: The transmission vibrates in 5th under load :(

greatest value for the money

Stan, 03/31/2005

Very pleased with the handling, ride andpower. The build quality is excellent. Very good fit and finish. For a small vehicle has great power and acceleration. Engine can be a little noisy at times, and garage door opener receptacle is kind of chintzy. Headlamps could be a little brighter. Other than that, it's a joy to own and drive. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

No serious issues but............

Firsttime ravowner, 08/29/2004

My only complaint is that it shakes or shimmys at 65 mph or so. i asked my dealer to check tire balance and they only test drove it and then told me, "We don't find anything unusual here." So, what do I do? Believe me, the steering wheel shakes back and forth on smooth highways, at high speed. Anyone else notice this?

Love my '04 Rav4 4ever

MayDay, 08/02/2016
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first car purchase ever. I knew I wanted an SUV, but not a giant gas guzzler. I love that I can for the most part fit into most parking spaces. It does drive like a car. This car now has 130,000 miles and still going strong. I wish Toyota made them convertibles at that time bc then this would be my car forever. I've always wanted a convertible SUV, which there is one available now, that I am considering getting. But I am so attached to my Rav. Good thing my brother is going to buy it from me, bc it definitely deserves a good home. It actually has good sound too. I sure am going to miss my Rav if I do end up selling it. I'm fighting back tears as I write this review...sniff sniff.

GetaRav

getarav, 02/23/2007

This is the best vehicle I've owned hands down. After owning Jeep, Dodge, and Ford vehicles, I opted for this Rav4 and couldn't be happier. It handles well and after careful examination of the engine components, it is clearly better built than Jeep Liberty. Plus the Rav isn't nearly as thirsty at the pump as the Liberty.

excellent

kalafa, 06/09/2004

The back seats are not comfortable for full size adults.

Rav4 L

greenleaf33, 06/08/2004

I was never a fan of the Rav4. Earlier models were very unattractive. When my wife's lease expired on her Honda Accord, we began looking for a compact SUV that she would be comfortable driving. With some reluctance, I convinced my wife to look at the Rav4. She had owned a Celica and a Corona in the past, and liked Toyota's vehicles, but she had the image of the original Rav4 (with it's ugly side panels) in her mind. We ended up purchasing a black Rav4 L with step rails,a roof rack, full power, and leather interior. We are both huge fans of the Rav4 now, and probably will buy another one when our current one gets older.

Very Happy With My Rav4

Smilin' Bob, 05/21/2005

I waited to review my RAV4 until I could see how well it performed in winter snow. It performed exceptionally well after a 12" dumping. The AWD, traction and stability control worked great. I really had to work to make it skid! (and that's with OEM tires) It's been great when going camping and it gets good gas mileage. I've not had one reliability issue in 14 months now. I have absolutely no regrets in buying this great mini-SUV.

Fun Reliability

RoninNC66, 09/29/2005

Waited over a year to FINALLY locate my RED AWD RAV4. It was sooo worth it. They just don't have any of these in the Southeast US. It drives like a sedan, looks great, handles well,and decent mpg for an SUV. Recently had FOB installed and considering other accessories. Planning to keep for a while. Liked so much bought a black RAV4 for the wife. His-n-Her's Rav4s...very happy couple. Looking forward to winter driving to see how AWD performs. Takes the sting out of giving up my faithful 4Runner. Toyota build quality and resale value make this a real peace-of-mind purchase.

An SUV that rides and acts like a car!

Shonta, 10/01/2005

I absolutely looooove my Rav. The ride is so very comfortable that you just don't get tired of sitting for a long period of time. It's feels like more pep than 4cyl, the gas mileage is pretty good, and it's a cutie! This is truly an SUV that rides as the most comfortable care you can imagine. I have a bad back, and I no longer have backaches from driving or from lifting things in and out of the car. It's a perfect height for a lady like me who is 5'5". I am so glad I got this cute little jewel.

trusty rav

natcam, 02/08/2007

Great handling for an suv not at all like a truck plus on freeway trips gets 30 mpg. Love the hood scoop on the S model even though husband says its non functional so far 3 years 33000 mile no problems whatsoever then again its a Toyota. Also test drove a Honda CR-V which had more room but at the time the Rav had better safety features like standard ABS, Traction & Stability Control that was not even available on the Honda.

rav4 my friend

mark r, 10/18/2017
AWD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

bought an 04 awd for 6500 with 80,000 miles- black with moonroof. It looks great. I bought bc the acceleration was fast and Toyota is a reliable car. I did hours of reading on consumer reports and opted for the 04 model bc the 01-03 model has ecm issues. Upon getting the vehicle I had to replace the rotors and pads, as well as an 02 sensor. I had an 06 outback trubo fully loaded and it died around 110,000 miles due to a failed turbo- never buy a car with a turbo. The front seats are not comfortable in the rav4 so I bought a lumbar pillow. I have a low mileage one and will keep up with the maintenacen schedule. it is fun to drive and I'm glad I have awd here in new England. Almost bought a lexus but the having awd small suv was better than fwd sedan. I'm excited and hope this car lasts a long time. I use premium gas only. I was also considering a crv but the 2004 crv looks to square and the 04 rav4 looks new still.

Great heart in a small package!

Pat Lynch, 01/04/2018
Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is a used car that's 13 years old, and I've had it for 9 of those years. This car has made me a loyal fan of smaller SUV's, and I think Toyota is tops. No major repairs have been made on the car - just oil changes and tires. It has a few little dings and quirks but nothing to get too excited about.

Buy a RAV4

Best Vehicle Owned, 04/13/2007

So far, this has been the best vehicle I've ever owned for several reasons. I got rid of a Jeep Liberty for the RAV4 and now I have confidence about easily getting at least 200,000 miles. The engine build is real quality. Nothing beats RAV4 in its class and the proof comes from owning it. Way to go Toyota!

Excellent vehicle

tundyguy, 03/02/2009

Excellent vehicle, extreme reliability is what Toyota is known for and the 04 Rav4 does not disappoint. 109,000 miles so far and the vehicle is just as sturdy and tight as the day I brought it home with 12 miles on the odo. I changed the Fan belt at , 52,000 and the brakes at 100,000 miles and thats it , still has the factory headlight bulbs, Toyota's durability really shines through in these vehicles. Its amazing, no rattles and little noises etc. after 109.000 miles. The seats have just been broken in , feel a lot more comfy now than when they were new. The styling is all Toyota, laid back and not flashy.

Love it!

mikeslittlesis, 04/25/2006

I love my RAV4. I went looking for a CR-V and found this car. It drives great, gets better gas milage than quoted, and runs great. I got 31 mpg on a long trip with the A/C off. I love the stereo controls on the steering wheel, which keep my eyes on the road. It is easy to park even in tight spaces and easy to turn around.

2004 Rav4 Manual

Deputy Dan, 06/08/2004

SUPER good vehicle - my favorite ever. Great acceleration, nimble handling, just plain fun to drive. Reliability is great, stability on all types of road surfaces is superior.

My RAV4

Moira S, 06/26/2004

I have had it for a year and I ABSOLUTLY LOVE IT. It is affordable and it is very roomy for its size. It has great pick up for a 4 cyl engine. I feel extremely safe in it.

My very 1st Toyota

Amy S, 06/26/2004

I just bought my new 2004 rav4 on tuesday June 22,2004! I have to say in the short time that I have had it I am VERY happy with it..I cant wait until I get past the brake in period so my children and I can take some road trips this summer with it. I have wanted a Toyota ever since my mother bought a tercel back in the early 80's I loved that little car and always said that I'd get on one day I would own one.I dont know what took me so long to switch over from ford and dodge!!

Very Nimble

San Diego Rav 4 , 07/07/2004

I traded in a 96 BMW 318is and love the RAV 4. It is very nimble and responsive, Has enough get up and go for city driving, and is more fun to drive than I thought it would be. Not a luxury car or as solid as a BMW, but it is a great vehicle for the money. It is so easy and comfortable to drive.

My 2004 Rav-4 4WD SUV

NH Real Estate lady, 07/24/2004

I absolutely love my little "Jitney"..!! This is the greatest car; economical to run, reliable, good looking and handles beautifully, on a dime. I am a Realtor, and it goes right out there with the best of them !!!! They can have their "Volvos" !!! cbennett :) Buy a 2004 Rav-4, you'll just love it. PS: No need to get the "L" package.

4 months and happy

jdean, 08/03/2004

This is a very good car. well thought out and well built. Fun to drive. great visibilty. lots of pep and good response. Well satisfied.

Great Little SUV!

rahoyme, 08/05/2004

Have had mid-size SUV's previously, love the RAV4. Traded a Chevy Impala sedan for it. Will like the AWD in the snow, the gas mileage is slightly better than an Impala. The RAV4 sits up higher than a regular sedan. Very comfortable, fun to drive.

I Love My New Baby

Darshan, 08/24/2004

I've wanted a Rav4 since 1996, but no dealer could locate a 5-speed with anti- lock brakes. I finally went with an automatic with all the safety features that became available this year: side/head airbags, traction, and stability control. No one can believe me when I tell them I traded my Audi TT roadster for a Rav4. I don't regret it one bit--well, maybe on those few days of great weather when I could throw the top back and let the breezes take me away. At least I can get more than one suitcase in the Rav!

My Dumplin's Chairoit

Jim Smith, Sr., 09/05/2004

I'm not partial to foreign cars, but this Toyota is an American car manufactor's dream. Very good eye appeal;Handling; excellant gas milage for a Suv, even a mid-sized one; great power & handling in 4Wh Dr.; Comfort galore on the inside; ample room in rear especially when rear seats are folded down, and even moreso when folded down COMPLETELY to the rear floor. I can't say enough good about it, nor can my wife, who does most of the driving. I just wish an American manufactor could do this good at these prices.

RAV4 problems

TomT, 09/09/2004

I purchased my RAV4 based on Toyota's reputation for reliability and I'm disappointed with the quality. This week the check engine warning light and vehicle control light came on indicting problems. The car has a squeal underneath at 15 to 35 mph. I drove it on an improved dirt road and since then have heard loud rattles behind the instrument panel. The visor clip is loose and of cheesy build quality and seems ready to fall off. The ignition switch is also loose and seems cheesy. The wind noise when the back windows are open is very loud and sounds like a helicopter taking off. The passenger window rattles when halfway down. I'm very dissatisfied.

2004 RAV4 - LOVE IT, JUST LOVE IT!!

RUREADY2DOIT, 09/18/2004

This car is well engineered. It will retain its resale value for years down the road. It is responsive and extremely convenient. Lord don't know if I could handle a V-6 with over 200 horsepower in it if they decided to put one in. Brakes are solid and certain. Sound system is absolutely superb. Turning radius is most acceptable.

Our Baby Rav4

DGregory, 09/25/2004

We love our Rav4. In fact, we both of our cars are Rav4's (2003 and 2004)!

My Favorite SUV (car)

Catherine Young, 10/02/2004

Two of my neighbors had a Rav4. I asked them how they liked it. My husband and I went to the Daytona Toyota "just to look". A very friendly and helpful salesman greeted us. When we walked over to the pretty green gray Rav4 my husband said he knew that was the the SUV for me. I feel very confidents driving it as it handles real well. Everything on the inside is very convenient. The back opens to hold alot of groceries or whatever. I can say there is no other car on the road that I would rather be driving. Even the back seat is comfortable for adults or children. The gas mileage is great and that is important to me. Thank you Toyota for building such a great SUV.

My Rav4

John Schwarz, 10/06/2004

Up to now I have driven only 1900 miles on my new Rav4 2004. The reading of the clock is hard to see from the driving position. It is too bad that there is no rear bumper, I worry that somebody may hit the rear door. So far I have not had a mileage reading of 23 mpg. per the window sticker. I have had a reading of under 22 mpg., but mostly 19 mpg.

Good & bad

paperpushette, 10/18/2004

I enjoy driving my RAV for the most part. However, I can't rely on the gas gauge, it goes up and down. I have to use the trip meter. Also, it doesn't get the gas milage we were told to look for, which was one of the main reasons we purchased it over other small SUVs. Also, it sometimes revs up to 4 rpms g when going uphill (not a big hill). I've never had a car that did that. If I had it to do over, I would probably not buy this car.

The best of the small SUV's

Michael95, 10/24/2004

Sold my Pathfinder and got the 2004 Rav4 and love it. The full time AWD is a big plus over having to shift in and out. Much better mpg than a 6 cylinder SUV, 10-16 mpg vs. 21-28. Lots of safety features standard. Basically a great suv for anyone who doesn't go heavy offroading and needs AWD for winters and some off the road driving. the build quality is awesome, it feels so well built, much better than some much more expensive vehicles I have been in.

Happy RAV4 owner

keen43506, 10/31/2004

I've had my 2004 RAV4 for about 2 months and have 1100 miles on it. It is well built like my prior toyotas and I have not yet found even one defect. Gas mileage is about 24 mpg in mix of in town and short trips, haven't been on a longer trip yet to test highway mileage rating. I have the L package which adds some real style to the base RAV4. Seats are comfortable and interior room is greater than it first appears. Solid feel and handling.

My dream SUV...almost

krimsin, 12/14/2004

I have wanted the Sport ed. since I first laid eyes on it. It is almost perfect for our family if it was just a bit bigger in the back it would be perfect. I can haul my husband, dog (in crate), newborn son (and all his stuff), and still have room for a bag of clothes for me.

perfect for me

larry, 12/28/2004

very fun to drive and very important to me is that it is easy to get in and out of. i have a fused spine and the seat height is perfect for . easy to park and a good 4 wheel drive system for snow and some light off roading.

Best car I've owned so far.........

Free_rider78, 07/13/2005

I love it! I hope to have it for many years to come......

Satisfied owner

albino52, 04/18/2007

Vehicle has far exceeded our expectations. I have found this fun to drive and it has excellent cargo space and the side opening makes loading less stressful. I find the driver's seat not deep enough thus doesn't provide adequate leg support.

OH!! What A SUV!

Zacdil88, 12/20/2003

Drives like a Mercedes!The best Little SUV on the market today.Try one...you'll LOVE it!!

Happy car owner

H.D. VAUGHN, 08/01/2004

I bought this automobile 9 months ago, and since that time I have enjoyed driving it. I've had no type problem with it. I've been back to the dealer two times, for oil change, lub. and tire rotation. The only problem I have is with the wife wanting to drive the Rava instead of the Buick.

I love my RAV

Gina72, 07/10/2004

I recently purchased the RAV4 L. It's fully loaded and I am enjoying every little bit of it.I love it! It's so easy to drive and it feels powerful. Even with the AC cranked up it has great pick up. So far I drove over curbs and through major floods due to heavy downpours with no problems whatsoever.The 4WD is awesome. I can't wait until winter.

RAV 4`

ELAINE DRISCOLL, 08/28/2004

this car was bought in 2000 and i will probable never give it up till it gives up on me thanks

51050