Used 2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

REAR DOOR OUCH!!!
By Todd

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for my wife overall it is a Toyota (excellent vehicles) however I have been very concerned about the rear door. I have small children and that door is an accident waiting to happen every parent should watch out. What is with the weight of that door? It is a mousetrap and I am concerned that children can be seriously hurt or injured by this poor design. I would keep the car if Toyota could come up with a fix but I’m fearful that children have already been hurt by it. Watch it especially if you live in hilly terrain as we do!!

All Wheel Drive

Redesign the back door. I don't need that huge wheel on the back. Or make it like my 4 Runner.

Best Yet
By Big Pebble

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With a new house I wanted a pre-runner so I could haul things for projects, but it wouldn't fit in my garage so I went with the RAV4 and I've never regretted it. Yeah I can't haul 4x8 sheets of plywood around, but just about everything else. It's been a lot of fun to drive on vacation and business trips (especially with XM on board). From the moment I bought this I knew it was the right vehicle for me. And with gas prices soaring, it's 29 MPG is smart.

Attracive looks

Flatten the front floorboard to make it more comfortable on long dirve in cruise mode. Make the steering wheel adjustable in length. This would help those with long legs move back a little and still reach the wheel.

Great 'small' SUV
By Juli

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car as a birthday present from my parents. I am very happy with it most of the time, but there are a few annoying things. My car vibrates constantly, especially in the morning when I am stopped. The gas mileage is a little rough and I have to fill up my tank often. The engine is also very small; not too much power. The back set has minimal leg room. On the up side, the car is easy to drive and I love how roomy it is in the front (I don't feel claustrophobic when I drive). I also love the stereo system and how easy it is to park my car. It it nice that the car is comfortable because I do a lot of driving.

Set up of entire front of car; 'sporty' look; and easy to drive.

Bigger engine and gas tank, as well as more room in the back seat. Stop the vibrating windows or whatever it is.

after 20K
By fraczekp

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very nice design inside and outside.
The engine is a joke but one can get
used to it. The AWD is useless - the
car is more uncontrollable than FWD
and it is very poor on gas mileage
(average 19mpg!). Consolation prize -
the value seems to be holding well
compared to other cars.

Practical to drive and park in a big city, roomier than what meets the eye. Awesome feature of adjusting the rear seat back support.

Bigger engine (2004 got that though!), better gas mileage, part time 4WD.

This Is My Car
By Jenn9919

2003 Toyota RAV4 SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far my RAV4 has been extremely pleasant
to drive, easy to maneuver, and very reliable. I
purchased this as my "dream car"-the one I
always wanted, and I have not been
disappointed, as we often are when we buy
something we thought would be better than it
is. The easily removable rear seats have made
it perfect for taking my dogs camping, and I
always have plenty of room for anything I
need. I have moved my entire apartment
(including all normal furniture, such as bed
and sofa) twice in this "little" car. I'm
exceptionally pleased with it.

Adjustable cup holders, automatic driver's window up/down, grocery bag hooks

I would have enjoyed a sunroof and wish I had shopped for a RAV4 with one before I purchased. The vehicle itself leaves little room for improvement in my mind. It is exactly what it claims to be.