Used 2003 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

An Unbiased Review
By Mitch C

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my AWD RAV4 for four years and put almost 90,000 miles on it. I could not be happier. I have never written a car review before but this car deserves it. I just came back from the dealer for routine maintenance. I was told that it needed nothing. I have only put gas and oil in this car and have had no issues whatsoever. It drives new and looks (minus normal wear) excellent. Build quality is outstanding, no rattles. Everything works like it should and you can see that this car gets driven a lot. The noise problem that has been commented on improves 100% with better quality tires (comes with TOYO tires new). The AWD works excellent in real conditions (black ice, snow storms, etc).

Permanent AWD. Overall quality and finish. Reliability. Retail value. Looks. Cargo space (huge with back seats folded).

Better tires from factory. A turbo-diesel engine would make it perfect.

RAV4 rates #1 for me!!!
By C.B.

2003 Toyota RAV4 Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Toyota. Let me list all the things I like about my RAV: it is easy to get into (not as tall as other SUVs), easier to see over the hood while driving, the back door swings from the side, the versatility and configurations of the back seats, the gas mileage, its pretty looks (definitely a girl's car), the short radius for turning, the brakes stopping on a dime. This is all that comes to mind, although I know there must be more regarding the motor and things like that. I believe this will be my last vehicle for many years to come.

Looks, ease of getting into and out of, ability to look over hood while driving, the display panel is no-nonsense, the various configurations of the back seats, trunk space, the back door opens like a door.

An option for having a pet screen in the trunk space while transporting pets. Seats could be more comfortable, and the ride less jarring; smoother.

OK, just OK
By Russ

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my wife's car and she loves it except for poor mileage (17mpg in town) and the noise. Good tires would help the noise and ride. Traction is excellent. Seats are good in front and marginal in back. The swing out tailgate with attached spare tire is awkward

AWD, reliability, superb handling

Better standard tires, better soundproofing, improved mileage

Dependable RAV4
By FRAN

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very dependable and comfortable vehicle. Gas consumption is minimal compared to previous vehicles.

Quick acceleration and response considering small engine size. Comfortable for long trips.

Great Car!
By Commuter Girl

2003 Toyota RAV4 AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased Nov 2003, I commute 160 miles RT four days a week. This car jams! Does 70-80 mph in carpool lane with no shakes. Tended to be really noisy inside until I got high quality tires. Gas mileage really disappointing for such a small car but handles like a dream, has plenty of power to pass vehicles on daily mountain pass climb, even with the air on! Lots of cargo room with back seats down. VERY stable in scary conditions - quick response and recovery. Tire size is NOT standard - hard to find replacements at decent prices. Just now replacing shocks/struts/brakes at 64K miles. Fun to drive, does very well on 4WD roads, extremely reliable.

I am pretty hard on this car as I drive through mountains, desert and questionable roads daily - It has had NO problems! For such a small vehicle, seats are high and comfortable. Great acceleration, superb air conditioning, hope it will last 350K miles like my previous Toyota pickup!

Rear seats need to fold down FLAT IN BOTH DIRECTIONS for optimum cargo hauling and passenger sleeping. Add an open space between front seats for a purse/bag! Better insulation to tone down inside noise.