Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

*BEWARE*
By Lee

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Loved this car at first, started getting a lot of wind noise, and noise from rear, had it looked at, but found nothing. Now, with only 120,000 miles on it, it started slipping. Had it checked and transmission is gone, of course it's past warranty, plus the ECM (engine control module) would also need to be replaced, costing me $4,800.00.

Big Problems
By Ravlight

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm very displeased with the quality of this vehicle. I had numerous small problems that required several trips to the dealership, plus at only 60K, the AC compressor needs to be replaced (not covered by the warrenty). That and the fact that it is extremely underpowered, very noisy on the highway, and the back seats are very difficult to take in and out. It is very good on gas, rides and handles great in the city and has ample cargo room.

I give the Rav-4 raves for the interior cargo capacity. People have been amazed at what I can fit in the back with the seats removed. That and great gas mileage.

Most addressed in the 2007 update with a V6 option, more room, and fold flat seats.

Compact, Economical, Great on Gas
By Ken

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It helps the environment and my wallet to drive an SUV that utilizes fewer resources than most other compact SUV out there. The RAV4 is reliable, fuel efficient and economical to own (parts are fairly reasonable). I recommend this to anyone who cares about reliability, the environment and the price of gas today. Keep more cash in your wallet... drive a Toyota RAV4 people! Some may say it is not a cool car for guys to drive. I have heard it described as a "female's" car. Well, if this is the case, then those "females" are some very smart people on this planet. They happened to stumble on a money saver!!

Its fuel efficiency, city driving I can get 22 mpg (not bad for an AWD SUV). A full tank of gas gets you approximately 275 miles

Could use a litle more power on acceleration. I have the 2002 RAV4, with a 2.0 Liter. Newer models have the 2.5L. This may make a difference.

My 1st Toyota
By walt

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Typical Toyota quality. Great engine, looks, handling. The mechanical AWD system is amazing for Canadian winters (esp. with M/S tires). Had it for 5 years & expect to keep it for another 10 or more.

Handling, looks, ergonomics.

Interior noise could be reduced. and an optional V6 should have been introduced.

Best car I ever drove!
By AJ Sabbagh

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Over the years I had a Toyota Cressida 1982, then Mercury Cougar 1992, then Chevy Caprice 1994, Pontiac Grand Am 1999, then my 2002 Rav4. I never drove a car as reliable as this one! It Never failed me. It is smooth and fun to drive and when we had the 30 inch snow storm up here in Montreal. It was a pro. I don’t think that I would ever buy anything but Toyota (maybe Lexus if I could afford it)... nothing less.

Reliable, durable, never breaks, low maintenance, surprisingly a snow-master!