Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Poor Quality of work
By Pat McMullen

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As a customer of Toyota, my wife and I are disappointed in the vehicle we have purchased. The Toyota Rav is only 7 years old and we need a new transmission. I have had 5 brand new cars in my life so far and never needed a new transmission installed as a maintenance problem with my cars. The Toyota was not in any kind of accident. I was told my the technician it was due to transmission fluid being low. I just think Toyota could do a better job of building their products than this. Everyone is saying how good Toyota is we decided to purchase our new Toyota vehicle but so disappointed to have the transmission gone with only 79,000 miles. Gear is slipping from 2nd to 3rd.

Good exterior built and looks and fun to drive.

Make better engines, especially transmission.

2002 RAV4 5spd
By RB

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2002. 5spd Stick, original clutch still going strong at 100000+... oil changed regularly, front brakes once, tires once, wiper blades, a couple of light bulbs... THAT's IT! Terrific little wagon!!! Best vehicle I've ever owned. Check Engine Light came on after about a year, reprogramming of the module was done at no cost and has never come on since! I'd definitely buy another!!!

Gas Mileage, fun to drive

Front seat ergonomics... Not the most comfortable...

Great Car but horrible seats
By Kristin S

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Rav4 with the exception of the seats. Toyota really skimped on the comfort factor. The seats are not supportive and feel like they are made out of foam. Other than that I have never had ANY problems with my RAV4. It is the most reliable car I have ever had. Great storage, especially with the large pack "trunk". Handles great, has a great turn radius. Easy to drive but it could definitely use more torque going on hill and passing cars on the freeway. In the next couple of months I am looking to sell my RAV4 and I am looking at Lexus and Acura. The number one feature I am looking for are ergonomic seats and dash board placement which the RAV4 certainly does not have.

Perfect size, fun to drive, reliability, plenty of room in back seat for 2 people to sit.

Lack of ergonomics especially in regards to the seats.

Pretty Good Car
By Leslie R

2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've loved this car, mostly because it's just the right size for me. I can pack up half of my belongings and drive across the country (which I have to do occasionally because of my job), but I don't feel like I'm driving a tank around the city. I also feel confident that I'm not going to be stuck on the side of the road in the desert. The lack of power is a problem. Accelerating onto the freeway can be a little scary. Driving through the Rocky Mountains, I've felt like I might start rolling backward. Turning radius is amazing, though. My husband, who is very tall, thinks it's horribly uncomfortable to either ride or drive, especially over long distances.

Size and turning radius.

Please read before you buy!!
By Debbie

2002 Toyota RAV4 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my RAV4 brand new. Check engine light was on after about one year. Catalytic conv or O2 sensors were always said to be the reason. At 100,000K it started to slip between 2nd and 3rd gear. Causes major issues! I just received something from Toyota saying that they will reprogram my ECM for no charge now, but unfortunately for me, this defect already ruined my transmission. Do not even think about purchasing a 2001-2002 RAV4 unless you have several thousand extra dollars to replace a transmission and ECM (avg.$4K). Trust me!!

Cargo space.

I bought Toyota because I bought into the "foreign cars mean higher quality" marketing. I'm not so sure anymore. This is a major issue for me in a not- so-stable economy. I will not purchase another Toyota.