Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 116 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Transmission
By Tom

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with 14,000. Very well maintained. At 84K the transmission lurched. Learned that the ECM ($1,300) was defective and may have affected the transmission. Have never had a transmission problem with 8 cars purchased - some with 200K miles. I WILL NEVER BUY A TOYOTA AGAIN.

Will Never Buy A Toyota Again
By ToyotaNeverAgain

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Car handles great in snow, rain. It is SEVERELY underpowered and I had to replace the catalytic converter at 62,000K ($2200). Transmission started slipping shortly after at 74,000K (new ECU, $2800). My average mileage is 20.8, so no sipper at all. Now at 100K the transmission is starting to act up again so its going out the door before it becomes my issue. Will never buy a Toyota again.

What about the bullet proof reliability? Never buying a Toyota again. Bought new and it is done at 100K. I had always bought used with over 100K and have NEVER been tormented as I have been with this vehicle.

A big NO to Toyota again
By Phyllis

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is ok apart from the check engine light that keeps coming on. Had the ECM reprogrammed but so far nothing has changed. I wonder if Toyota still stands by their product if they can't take the responsibility of acknowledging their mistakes. I will never buy a Toyota car again.

None so far

Toyota needs to take care of their mistakes.

Beware of Transmission Problems
By Unhappy Camper

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the original owner of this vehicle. I bought it because of Toyota's excellent reputation. At 87k miles I started having transmission problems. My car would rev up between gears and felt like it was slipping. At times it would hesitate and go into gears hard. I took it to Toyota and they knew right away what the problem was. They said that it was the ECU/ECM. It's the computer that tells the transmission when to shift. It was a very bad design and Toyota no longer has it in their newer models. The cost for a new computer is over $1500 with no guarantee it will even fix the problem. A new trans is over 3k so all together I could have $4500 in this vehicle. Not a happy camper...

Toyota should stand by their flub ups and recall this item.

Poor Quality of work
By Pat McMullen

2002 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As a customer of Toyota, my wife and I are disappointed in the vehicle we have purchased. The Toyota Rav is only 7 years old and we need a new transmission. I have had 5 brand new cars in my life so far and never needed a new transmission installed as a maintenance problem with my cars. The Toyota was not in any kind of accident. I was told my the technician it was due to transmission fluid being low. I just think Toyota could do a better job of building their products than this. Everyone is saying how good Toyota is we decided to purchase our new Toyota vehicle but so disappointed to have the transmission gone with only 79,000 miles. Gear is slipping from 2nd to 3rd.

Good exterior built and looks and fun to drive.

Make better engines, especially transmission.