Used 2002 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

problem fixed
By krealtors

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I also had a transmission problem, but because of toyota they have extended the warranty until 10 yrs or 150,000 on 2002's not sure about other years. toyota dealer just replaced my computer and if problem comes back they will replace the transmission for FREE, I also didn't pay anything for the ECU (computer). I also believe service lady said they will also cover TCU as sell. so check with your local dealer.

Beware I'm done with all Toyota products
By 2002Rav4Sucks

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Don't buy Toyota. Read the reviews here. All of them. Some people even posted a good review before the on- board computer fried and then burn the transmission. Or before the engine burnt from the known oil sludge problem. Then wrote another bad review. I paid $14,000 used. Good deal private party with 40k miles. At 88k miles the engine blew-up from oil sludge. I didn't know about the "oil sludge recall" until after I had it rebuilt for $4,500. Then at about 97k miles the jerking shifting started. This is my daughter's car so I took it in to my mechanic. He said on board computer $1300 and the transmission is cooked because of the computer problem. $5,600 for rebuild and new computer (cont'd

..so then I went to Toyota direct and they said yep $5,600. I said NOPE, this is a known issue and went up and up and up the ladder and finally got the work done for $3,600 from the dealer. I was so happy. I saved myself $2,000 by complaining. My wife said, "big deal we paid them $3,600! no more.

Today I found out the catalytic converter needs to be replaced and it's only a dealer item and is $750 for just the part. Any other after market catalytic converter is about $200 bucks. I'm done. I'm painting it yellow and parking it at the dealer.

Thanks for nothing Toyota!!!
By Toyotasux!!

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Well I bought this vehicle back when Toyota still had a good reputation but sadly I will NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER TOYOTA. The computer gave out so there was $1,300 to pay and after that the transmission went kaput so there goes another $3,000. Not to mention the horrifying experience of it stopping when turning left. Toyota does not care about its customers all they care about is your $$$$.

It looks wonderful sitting in front of my house since i can't drive it.

Make a vehicle that isn't junk.

Rav4=No worries
By FunSmart

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We I was looking for a car I back in 2006 grabbed the consumer report and this car showed the best rating of all (not only small SUV). I bought it used and through these years (today 2010) I have confirmed day by day that the reports were true. The Rav4 is spacious (you can easily remove the back seats) for cargo and passengers. The spare tire gives the sporty "Jeepy" look and unlike other cars there is no sacrifice of space to accommodate the tire inside the vehicle, so all that space left is yours to fill. Thanks to this the height of the base of the trunk is at or below your needs. Just go and compare this with other cars, you will find they are much higher.

Space, low maintenance cost, handling and it's loaded standard!

For the new models, go back to the previous like the 2002. It was already right why reinvent the wheel?

ECM Died at 105M
By saddened customer

2002 Toyota RAV4 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I originally posted at Edmunds how I loved, loved, LOVED my Rav4 at time of purchase back in 2002. However, car started jerking last week, couldn't accelerate, so towed it to dealer, went online, and discovered the brain/transmission problem! Paid over $1300 to replace the brain, and have no faith in my car anymore. Dealer couldn't guarantee it won't start lurching again, so it's time to switch from Toyota, sadly. A company that doesn't stand behind a problem that it knows exists at least when I trade it in, I can show I paid to 'fix' the ECM, but I pray the car just gets retired rather than potentially hurting another soul!

None right now.

Toyota sent out a service notice to dealers back in 2006 about this issue and didn't notify customers. Sad! I am here to warn all of you to 1) not drive if the car starts lurching (I was able to save the transmission) and 2) be prepared for the ECM problem.