Used 2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

A fun car
By ToyRaver

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have the AWD L edition. I've had this car for 5 yrs already and have 52k mi. It's a nimble car, pretty good ride and pretty good looking. The only problems I find are the low 17 mpg avg in NYC, very noisy in fast traffic and the brakes. It has very good handling. Worked great in the snow, but then again we rarely get snow here. We've been using Amsoil synthetic in the engine and the gears. Overall it's a great car to have w/ the main exception of the poor mileage. I've already had the 02 check engine light and the charcoal canister engine light too. For now, I had the comp upgrade, still waiting on my 02/cata conver disaster known for 01's.

I really like the mirror defoggers! The car seats in the back can be removed to add more stuff or just moved up or down. Very versatile car.

Better gas mileage. Less noise in the interior when riding. Car is a bit bumpy, but hey, it's not a caddy.

Love It!
By fourthrowe

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased this vehicle with 67K miles on it. I love it. First, for a tall wagon it gets great mileage (I see 24 in reality, mostly city driving). It has cargo room enough to haul most practical loads. It is also very quick considering its a 4 cylinder suv. Brakes, steering, suspension all very responsive. Not great for stop and go traffic because it makes almost no power below 2500 rpm. Took me a while to not spin the tires on startup. Very practical vehicle with few compromises. The perfect cargo loading height means no rear bumper though.

Chain driven cam (maintenance free), fuel economy, folding/ removable / reclining rear seats. Ice-cold a/c. Cup holders adjust to drink size.

Can't quite seem to find a good place to rest my arms while driving, feel like I'm sliding out of the passenger seat while riding.

satisfied second owner
By satisfied owner

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with 19,000 miles, in top condition. Paid about $500 over average market but was great buy. Only repair (covered by warranty) in 3 years was to reset computer immediately after purchase due to no acceleration from stop. Drove 6,000 miles on summer vacation in '05, performed perfectly with average 29 mpg thru rocky mountains, pacific NW and level terrain, no overheating. Holds 75 mph easily on hwy, uses reg. fuel, holds 4 adults long distance in reasonable comfort, 3 adults in great comfort. Easy on tires, great stability, seats removable with no trouble. Only complaint is halogen headlights are too bright and unadjustable. Will still be a great car at 200,000 miles.

The BEST 4 cyl production engine on the planet. There is nothing to NOT like about this car. Easy to drive, park, maintain. Lots of storage slots in doors, console, backs of seats, in rear compartment. Folding or removable seats, solid feeling and great stability at hwy speed. The perfect car.

Change headlights to adjustable.

Good little SUV
By Alex J

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Rav4 is a comfortable little SUV. It is not the most powerfull, but it gets great MPG (When driven nicely). Seats are nice and supportive, and the silver/metal looking plastic looks upscale, even if your not sure what it exacly is. The AWD is nice and is needed in the rockies.

Tailgate- makes loading easy. MPG- 24 in the city 30 highway. Fit & finish is very nice

It's All That!
By Sheridan McDaniel

2001 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This SUV has class and quality I've never experienced. The four years plus of owning this vehicle, the only issue I've ever had with it is taking it in for its required maintenance. I don't think I can ever get a better quality and more affortable vehicle unless it's a Toyota. The only reason I am departing from it is that I need more room due to medical issues, which leads me to the new 2006 that has more room. I haven't checked it out yet but if the driver seat gives me more room, then Toyota has won me over again. I will never purchase another motor vehicle outside of Toyota. I hate having to give my SUV up, but I feel like I am getting a big promotion to what Toyota has to offer me next.

My favorite feature is the low gas consumption. When I pull into the gas station I feel true bless for the extra funds I don't have to shell out. Also, love being able to make the quick lane changes with ease. It's a very sporty classy SUV and I've had great compliments on it over the years.

The only improvement I really needed was more room in the driver seat, which I hope has been done in the RAV4 2006.