Used 1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

My Rav
By Molly

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

This is the second 99 Rav 4 I have owned and enjoy it a great deal. The first one was totaled by another driver. I was glad to be able to find another, the only difference was no moon roof on the newer one. This the first SUV I have owned and I enjoy driving it. It has been reliable and has needed very few repairs.

Electric windows and door locks. Since I am short the rear door opening like a car door makes it easy for me to load and unload it. Very comfortable.

A tape player as well as the CD player. Better mileage.

Durable and reliable
By GF Jones

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

Never had repair work other than routine maintence in 140,000 miles. Ours was destroyed when a Jeep Cherokee ran a red light and slammed into the front end as we were crossing traffic. The Jeep lost the battle as it bounced off and rolled over 1.5 times. The Rave stood it's ground and the frame is still straight. However, damages are in excess of it's value. We are looking for another one.

It is very nimble and easy to manuever in tight spaces.

Placement of the stereo is in close proxcimity to the heating box causing intermitant periods of audio black outs. This likely shortens the life of the audio components.

Saved My Life
By Maria C

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

On Dec 16th 2005 I 'T-boned' a 2004 Ford Explorer truck and both vehicles were totaled. I'm black and blue, no broken bones and lucky to be alive. It didn't buckle around me, roll over, or spin out of control - what it did was save my life. My significant other always teased me and my 'putter-mobile' because of it's slow pick up but is now grateful that I was able to walk away from the accident w/just bruises. I'm sold on the Rav4 and if the price is right will purchase another one. Maria

I rented a Rav4 to make sure I really wanted to purchase one and from the first day I realized it was just down right fun to drive! I always park facing out and this car is very easy to handle.

Offer a higher then '4' cyclinder- maybe they do now? I can only refer to my 1999. I'm only 5'4" but would still suggest that Toyota allows the driver seat to slide back further, I always felt I was sitting too close to the steering wheel so had to lean the seat back to compensate for it.

Very Reliable
By Len

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

I have had my 1999 RAV4 5 speed for 5 years and I would buy another in a heartbeat. This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I bought it with 41,000 miles on it and have added about 100,000. I transferred to a new job last year and now commute about 130 miles per day. I never worry about whether my car will start or not (unless I run the battery down by leaving the lights on). I had some major maintenance work done this year (tune-up, timing belt, etc.), but other than regular maintenance work, I have had no other work done on my car. It runs great, has the Toyota reliability, and I fully expect it to keep going for another 200,000 miles. My gas mileage is about 33.

The tachometer, the fold up back seats (they are removable now), the great gas mileage for an SUV.

The seats could have been more comfortable. I wish the windows didn't slant - when it rains and I open the windows, the water pours in.

Great Car To Own
By Dawn K.

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2dr SUV AWD w/Soft Top

I love this car. Never had any problems with it. Would highly recommend it to anyone!

Convertible top is SO much fun for me and my kids!

Velcro on the convertible top is wearing a bit but not really a true problem.