Used 1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Cute little car
By T

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

I love this little SUV. The large windows offer good visibility. It's fun to drive & feels very light and peppy, although it sometimes struggles with getting up to speed (especially on the freeway), b/c the engine is small. MPG is OK, but tends to be low when city driving + running AC/heater. The trunk has a LOT of space, & rear legroom is adequate. Interior is kind of bland, but at least it's not an eyesore. Safety is good (by '99 standards) but sometimes the car's balance seems a little precarious, especially when turning at high speeds. Otherwise, this is a reliable little car. I don't see it dying anytime soon, but if it did, I'd buy it again.

Rear storage panels, sunroof, easy-to-read dash, exterior design (still looks good 10 years later!), large windows.

CD player, more supportive (lumbar) seats, MPG could be a better for an engine this small.

Rav4 303,000 miles
By Cat L.

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD

I love my Rav4. I have to say I prayed over the car too and that helped. My Rav4 has 303,000 miles on it. I had it checked recently at Superior Toyota in Birmingham. I wanted it checked out and felt like apologizing for my mileage. The owner of the company said "It's a Toyota; that's what they do." It means so much to drive a car for years after paying it off. Besides regular things like brakes, tires, and oil, that you'd have to do for any car, I've only had one thing fixed;that was a timing belt, after it had 268,000 miles on it. I will definitely buy another Toyota Rav4 one day. My finance teacher said to keep a car until you no longer trust it. I still trust it.

I love the way it drives. And that it never breaks down. I drove through Arkansas in a snow storm in March last year. I am not used to driving in snow. My Rav4 did great.

The cup holders could be more durable. Mine broke years ago. I wish Toyota would make more Rav4's with leather seats. And a CD player that holds more disks. (So I had one installed).

Nearing 240K!!
By Quinn

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Can't believe just how this 'toy' Sport Vehicle has held up thru the years. Got it as a demo model in 1999, and have pretty much only had basic regular service done. Really comfy and quiet, I still have to pinch myself sometimes since I can't believe I've been so lucky w/ this car. Recently, I got a 2004 Tacoma and passed the RAV onto my daughter. We're hoping it makes it to 300K!!

Reliability, starts every day flawlessly. 4WD has also been great since we live in Northern Illinois.

Dont know why its so much fun!
By Brett

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Got it used with just under 80K on it, and after some clean up and maintenance, it is like a new car. Very fun off road, we do a lot of off road and it never gets stuck or breaks. Love the looks, inside and out, the 5 speed manual makes it very fun to drive, the average MPG is 26 with a lot of short trips. Plenty of power for me, comfortable, reliable, large cargo area with the seats out, great to load the dog into. We plan on keeping it forever.

It's little, and goes places big trucks can't. It gets 26 mpg overall, simple functional design, comfortable.

The only thing I would like is a bigger gas tank.

Is there any other?
By Walter & Naomi

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Our 4th Toyota. Currently at 520,000 kms. Is a daily driver seven days a week as my wife is a travelling home support worker. Replaced brakes twice, timing belt three times only as good practice. Never needs wheel alignment. Never fails in any weather. Handles like a dream and my wife drives fast. Car handles like a sports car. Traveled once from Nova Scotia to Ottawa and back with 5 occupants and full of luggage not a problem and only $250 of fuel. Would not think twice of leaving for California in this vehicle tomorrow without service before leaaving. I handle a lot of vehicles and this is the best all around auto in the world by price, comfort, appearance, dependability.

Handling, dependability, heater and air conditioning. Little except basic maintenance, oil, brakes, tires. Never needs wheel alignment. Travels through 2ft plus of snow and breaks trail normally when roads are not plowed. Only use wheel lock for steep icy driveways. Great cargo area. Great for a family or a single person.

Cup holders, larger outside mirrors, antenna placement (bad in underground parkades backing up), improve fuel economy.