Used 1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Love my little "beep beep"!
By smokefan

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD

In 2007, I totaled out my 2000 Dodge Neon (good little car, too) and my brother and his wife gave me their 1999 Rav 4 L to drive.
At first, it was a rocky relationship b/c I couldn't drive a standard...but once I got the hang of it, I learned two things: Standards are way more fun and this little truck is one of the best investments you could ever make! The truck had around 80K when I got it and I've put another 100K on it.
The only thing I've had to do is replace the timing belt, which is an item you can expect to replace after time anyway. Other than diligent oil & fluid changes, I've not had to put any money into the "beep beep" and I think she'll stay in my family for years to come!

Surprisingly comfortable; accomodates all heights/sizes of folks. Good gas mileage; lots of room in the back seat and in the back storage area;

The ONLY thing that I'd even come close to complaining about is the back door...that wagon type, swing to the side business...takes some getting used to. Other than that, this little truck is a charmer!

HAVING A HARD TIME PARTING WITH MY CAR
By meleirs

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I HAVE HAD MY rav4 FOR ELEVEN YEARS, IT HAS BEEN REALLY GOOD TO ME THAT I AM FINDING A HARD TIME BUYING A NEW VEHICLE. I AM NOW A GRANDMOTHER AND NEED SOMETHING MORE SPACIOUS AND MORE NEW.

218,000, best car ever!
By morav

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

I bought the car used with 34,000 miles on it and I just traded it in yesterday for a Toyota Corolla.
It was the lowest maintenance vehicle I have ever owned and would have bought another one, but w/the increased cost of fuel I wanted something with just a little better gas mileage.
I averaged around 26mpg and I drove it pretty hard.
I hauled animals to the vet, bags of feed for the horses and about anything you can think of.
I have probably spent less than $500 in actual repairs the whole time I owned it.
Other than that, just oil changes every 3K.
I am going to miss my Rav4.

The car was about as reliable as they come. Low cost of ownership, good gas mileage for being an SUV type, versatility of use, handles good in snow and rain.

Probably the only improvement would be improving mpg. It wasn't bad, just looking to for better with this insane cost of fuel.

Love our RAV4!!
By mrbsmallz

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

Bought the RAV4 used in 2004 for my wife.
At the time it had 99K miles.
Recognizing it was time for service, I immediately invested $400 to replace the timing belt, water pump, and replace fluids.
100K miles later (199K), this little truck is still going strong and continues to look brand new inside and out.
Everything works except minor items (seat belt light blinks constantly on dash ).
The maintenance is due again and I'm glad to invest another $400 to keep her going.
Planning to pass along to our son in the next few years.
We have had NO problems with this truck.
Only replaced the battery, spark plugs, regular fluid changes, brakes, and tires.
Would definitely recommend!

The sunroof and ease of getting in and out of the vehicle. Snow is NO problem!

Needs more pep. Gas mileage is not great but decent (small 13 gallon tank). Flimsy arm console. Bolts vibrate loose and require frequent re-tightening. Fix weird electrical issues (seat belt light blinks even when fastened).

260,000 miles, veryy reliable
By akxel

1999 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

reliable car, good looking on the outside, especially with ski racks black on black paint.

260,000 miles on it and still running on, steering is not that great but hey its a toyota, no a bmw sedan.

i liked the reliability,looks, nice suspension supple

A bit to small, limited rear storage, and little rear passenger room. it should have better gas mileage, but it is from 1999 i guess. it is really hard to maintain highway speed up a hill, good luck with the engine. Its my grandmas car but i use it every now and then, lately more often then not.