Used 1998 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Great Vehicle
By MSB

1998 Toyota RAV4 L Special Edition 4dr SUV

Absolutely great vehicle. Bought with 112,000 miles- have driven for 1 1/2 years with no problems. Runs like a champ. Plan on giving to daughter to drive 5 years from now. Should easily get another 150,000 on this vehicle.

Handling and ease of parking Great vision out all windows

Great Car But...
By JK

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned the car for 9 years and overall it has been very reliable. However, it has not been without problems. Cons: An emissions sensor had to be replaced at 70k (over $700 repair). The front struts had to be replaced at 75k ($1200 repair). The actuator rod for the driver door remote auto-lock mechanism failed at 80k (It's a $1000 repair). Finally transmission failed at 128k. Overhaul parts and labor put the repair at over $3400. A little underpowered and a little loud at highway speeds. Pros: Better than my Jeep Cherokee in the snow and rain. Comfortable driver position (I am 6'1"), good turning radius and great handling. Fun to drive.

Driver position, roomy and handling.

Suppress noise, increase power, increase fuel tank size.

My Purple Tortoise
By hotbite

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

I've had my '98 RAV4 since 2004. It's ridiculously reliable...no repairs needed, just maintenance and it's got over 130,000 miles on it. My only real gripe about the car is the mileage. I'm surprised to read several reviews that praise it's mileage! For a 4-cylinder that has zero power, I am disappointed that it only gets 18mpg. I would have expected more. The cupholders are also not really usable. Not in a good location or capable of holding tall cups w/o spilling. Don't get me wrong...I love my RAV. It gets me from A to B with no problems. Knock on wood!

Dependable as they come! Even though it's 12 years old, I think it still looks sporty!

Gas mileage; better cupholders; arm rests.

Old Faithful
By Carol

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV

Finally replacing Old Faithful after over 10 very reliable years. Seats are losing their bounce and it's showing it's age a bit, but still runs like a charm. The 2.0 4cyl is a bit wimpy for hwy driving, but MPG is great. I truly wish the US would build affordable quality products. The materials/fit & finish are so chintzy in comparison, or incredibly overpriced. Looks like another import vehicle again for me.

Can zip into parking spots going the opposite direction. Have never worried that it would break down. Have hauled bikes, plywood, paving stone, you name it with this little beast.

Center armrest! More intimidating horn. More HP. Bag hooks in cargo area. More utility plug-ins.

Excellent!!!!
By Mark

1998 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

I cannot begin to say how good this car is. I bought it with only 50000 miles on it. It now has over 100,000 and has never had a single problem with anything in the car. I have found in my years of experience that toyotas are by far the best car on the market. They are sturdy reliable and are good even into the higher mileages. My next car will definitely be another toyota. Excellent car!!!

Manual transmission, Sound system, hidden cupholders, reliability!

Armrests for the driver and passenger, a non recessed radio in the dash.