Used 1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

Great Vehicle
By DJThumper

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Bought used in 02 and now have over 155000 miles. It is a daily driver, handles the day to day driving with no problems at all. I have driven it in icy conditions and in off-road muddy conditions and have had no problems with it. I hope to have it for years to come

Fun to drive. It fits in many places others can't. Turns on a dime.

Underpowered, towing capability and interior space. All that has been taken care of in the new RAVs.

96 RAV4 Review
By Lee

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2dr SUV

I have 92,000 miles and service it every 3000 miles. Drive 18 miles to work each day at around 26 MPG. My RAV is a five speed and I tow it behind a large RV, great RV tow car. I have an interchangeable brush guard and tow assembley on front. Great AC and heat and park anywhere. I have really enjoyed the car. Fun in the mountains of north Georgia. Double sun roof, paint finish is still very good. Paid $11,500 for the car about seven or eight years ago. I think it is a good little car. I plan to keep the car until the wheels fall off.

One favorite feature is that I can tow the car on all four wheels just by placing it in neutral. I also like that I can fold the two rear seats up, this provides a nice amount of room in the back. I also carry a cargo carrier attached to the trailer hitch.

I guess about the only thing that I would like to add to this car is a cruise control and maybe a little more power. But not at the expense of gas milage.

Most reliable car I ever owned
By dave

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV

Absolutely no problems. Only maintenance was oil changes, tires and battery replacement.

Small size, Plenty of space for dog crates

Quieter ride

Fun and Feisty
By Myrtle

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I have been extremely happy with the purchase of this vehicle. I purchased it used with under 30,000 miles on it. I know have 105,000 and its still going strong. I have had very little maintenance on this car. Regular oil changes I believe are a must. I replaced the exhaust system last year (2005)muffler, converter and 2 pipes leading to muffler. I replaced the starter about 4 years ago, but other than that it has been routine maintenance. When I saw this car I knew I had to have it.It was so much fun to drive. I purchased it that very day. Now the car is 10years old it is still fun to drive and is still running like a gem! Thank you Toyota for building such a great car.

5 speed manual, easy access to rear storage area, with one door access.

Toyota RAV4
By my ride rocks

1996 Toyota RAV4 SUV 2dr SUV AWD

I love this car, it is fun to drive. I get awesome gas mileage (30 mi. to the gallon) great car. Rides high, fun little machine I would suggest it any day!

Gas mileage, and sleek look.

Interior design not a huge fan of that look!