If fuel economy is a priority when you're shopping for a new car, you can't do much better than the 2017 Toyota Prius. It delivers some of the best mileage of any car on the road, along with the utility of a hatchback and a comfortable, quiet ride.
- Capable of 50-plus miles per gallon
- Cabin remains quiet even when the gasoline engine is engaged
- Liftback design makes for easy access to the cargo area
- Plenty of room for four adults in the spacious cabin
- Offers a complete package of high-tech active safety equipment.
- Offset instrument panel is out of driver's direct line of sight
- Must use Toyota's Entune app software to make the most of a smartphone connection
- Still a slow car despite its improved performance versus the previous model.