Used 2012 Toyota Prius Two Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Carefree car ownership
By goodeyb

2012 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Traded my Jeep Wrangler for this Prius about 18 months ago...it is unbelievable how practical, reliable, and inexpensive this car is. Outstanding gas mileage, almost no maintenance, and much more space then one would think.

I am 6' 2" and have plenty of room. The seats fold down to give nearly as much cargo room as my old Grand Cherokee. The front, side, and curtain airbags are appreciated. If you are looking for a spacious, reliable, and inexpensive vehicle-it would have killed me to say this five years ago...but buy a Prius.

It's neither cool nor stylish.

Be Realistic, Unbelievable Value
By bryant1981

2012 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We traded our loaded 2007 Lexus RX350 for the 2012 Prius, I knew it was smart for us but worried we'd be too sensitive to the luxury adjustment-we weren't, the Prius is a much nicer car than most people think. Barcelona Red Metallic over Tan is a great color combo! Smooth & quiet, I drive for Uber & Lyft and passengers are always pleasantly surprised at the space and road manners. Swap the OEM Goodyear tires for Michelins and all is complete. We are getting between 48 and 59 MPG varying on speed/road conditions/passenger Weight. No regrets, won't drive anything but a Hybrid, we save so much money and sacrifice nothing on comfort. It's sad that the Prius is often spoken of so negatively

Hands free phone, Bluetooth audio, fancy gear shift lever, floating counsel

Standard back up camera (which they probably added in newer models) Standard power drivers seat with two person memory setting (Asking a lot probably) Manual side rear window shades option....xenon lights standard and all wheel drive option too; all discussed for 2016 model which we will probably own also 😊

MPG - Yay! Everything Else - Meh.
By missmytsx

2012 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Toyota has made one efficient vehicle here.
I achieve 45 - 55 mpg without really trying.
In fact, I drive %100 of the time in "PWR" mode just to give this car some small modicum of driving enjoyment.
But it's very small.
This car, simply put, sucks all the enjoyment out of driving.
It is painfully slow.
Those who claim it is not slow have probably not driven a normal car in a quite a while.
It is very loud - lots of road and wind noise.
At highway speeds I've got to crank the radio nearly full blast just to hear the music or speech.
If high real-world MPGs is your one and only criterion, then you can't do better than the Prius.

MPG true to EPA numbers, even for jaded owners like myself who drive only in PWR mode and floor it just to get the thing out of its own way.

None. This is what a Prius is. If you want nicer interior materials, better handling, and a quieter cabin, buy a Lexus ct200h. I'm trading my Prius for a normal car soon. I'll miss the mpgs. But more than that, I miss enjoying driving.

Everyone should have one. GREAT MPG
By harrispotter

2012 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

recently purchased it at 0% special. Already saved tons of money. Used to get $400 worth of gas a month on my 4runner. Now I pay no more than $50 a month. It's fun to drive. MPG gets better and better. Battery charges when you apply breaks. Interior looks very nice. High tech functions. It has a built in phone.
It uses Bluetooth. I keep my phone in my pocket just use the car. No more keys. Keys are for old school cars.
I bought it a grossinger in downtown Chicago. Purchase was quick and simple. I priced the car from the dealer over texting. I got there straight to finance and done. 0%.

Bluetooth phone system. Hybrid display. Keyless entry. Gas savings

Just a little more room but no loss in mpg

4 month unpdate
By boeserkritiker

2012 Toyota Prius Two 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

previously mentioned Bluetooth connectivity issues had to do with the phone, not the car.
I basically want to give a mpg update.
it really does not seem to make a whole lot of a difference trying to specifically drive in a max. saving manner or just go with the flow. I tried both and you get somewhere around +/-54mpg per computer in mixed driving. just don't have a heavy foot. trying to squeeze out one or two more mpg's really makes you the slowest on the road. the two best tips I have is leave as much as possible to the cruise control. the computer seems to do the most efficient choices. and forget the eco mode button. i drive a lot in slightly hilly areas and the small engine really

struggles to the point that the car starts vibrating. turn it off and the car acts normal. Also, forget the mpg the computer shows. Actual calculated mpg is consistently 3-4 mpg less. So real world mpg has been just over 50mpg. driving with a roof box on top did actually not effect the mpg too negatively.