Used 2010 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 264 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

A Symphony of Creaks and Rattles
By LF

2010 Toyota Prius IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The only real complaint we have is the many creaks and rattles in the car which make for a very unpleasant environment. We have had to buy self adhesive padding to try to stop glove box rattles, armrest rattles. We have yet to discover cause the rattles that emanate from the rear of the vehicle. Clearly a good eal of the annoyance is due to an overabundance of plastic used in the interior design.

Mileage, rear hatch space, tight turning radius.

Tighter ride as far as annoying creaks and rattles are concerned. Less Cheap plastic in the interior. Standard maintenance should be included as this seems to be the trend from manufacturers.

Best hybrid ever.
By scdi

2010 Toyota Prius IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought it after all the bad Toyota news. Allowed us a good deal. Drove on 3500 trip for break-in. Mountains, deserts, and all kinds of weather. Favorite thing is going down the long hills at 70-80 mph and noticing that the gas engine is off. Up the mountains it kept up speed and passed others with room to spare. Even at 75 mph with 40 mph headwinds we got over 40 mpg. Handled well with the wind as well. Averaged about 50. We were in stop and go traffic the other day & I noticed the mpg climbing from 57 to 59 mpg as we crawled along electrically with the rest of the traffic. Only complaint is the GPS will not let us program while moving. With 2 in the car this was frustrating.

Increased mpg in stop and go traffic.

Let up program the GPS while driving if someone is in the passenger seat.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
By Codyroo

2010 Toyota Prius IV 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've researched the Prius for 4 years before getting the car. It meets all of my expectations. 1) The gas mileage is as advertised. If you hold your freeways speeds down (speed limit) you can easily get 50 mpg or more. Short trips kill mileage, long trips are good. I average over 58 mpg for my daily 70 mile commute. 2) Stereo and bluetooth are nice 2) The brake and acceleration thing was media hype. There are no issues with my car. 3) This is not a 0-60 mph performance car, nor does it handle like a sports car. It has adequate acceleration and handling. 4) Rear visibility isn't very good out of the rear corner windows. Ensure you've adjusted your mirrors adequately.

I love the miles per gallon. I could easily drive 65 mph and get 50 mpg. I've slowed down and have achieved 60 mpg on 3 of my last 4 tanks. The stereo, bluetooth and nav work well. The seats are firm and comfortable. LOTS of rear legroom and headroom. Seats 4 comfortably.

The aerodynamic design of the car makes for some blind spots on the rear right side. The headrest also impede at this spot. I had to take time to ensure my passenger mirror is aligned to minimize this blind spot. The FM receiver seems a bit weak relative to my previous vehicle (1989 Integra).

Mostly Great, some problems
By Francis Degnin

2010 Toyota Prius II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Mostly a love this car. I really wanted the plug in version, but decided it wasn't worth waiting. If you live somewhere with snow and ice, you should also be prepared to purchase very high quality winter tires--I recommended this to a friend of mine with Prius two years ago, it solved the problem of a light car on an icy hill. I have noticed the reported break problem twice in three months--even though it was supposed to be fixed. The bigger problem for me is a very high pitched whine which comes from the engine in warmer temperatures. The dealer wants to say it's normal, but none of my friends with earlier models report it. That's the only really annoying issue I have with the car.

The gas mileage of course. Though I have found that, when "testing" the computer's figure at the pump, the car is actually getting about 4 miles per gallon less than it claims, but still very good. Am very impressed by the cargo space. And the low maintenance costs. It's also fun.

Improve visibility--safety first? As a stopgap, I've added some spot mirrors, but it's not enough. Longer telescoping steering wheel for taller drivers. Lumbar support. Outlet in the cargo area. Fix the breaks. I'd like to see these addressed in the plug in version...

After 1 year
By chuck

2010 Toyota Prius II 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have not had any problems. great mpg 52-44. plenty of cargo space. very firm ride. transmission and no drive belts are my favorites. read and reread owners manual.

transmission and no drive belts. position of shift lever.

soften up ride. rear view mirror blocks considerable frontal view. upholstery could use an upgrade.