Used 2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Safety and reliability
By Snow

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I own a Prius for more than 18 months now. It's a fun car to drive with great fuel economy. The only thing that bothers me is how safe I am in this car. Had met with 2 accidents and the car got damaged badly in both. Luckily I was alone in the car on both the occasions. The body is not strong. A simple hit can cause bumps. Just wonder, is economy that better than the safety!!

Bluetooth, AC, rear mirror, fuel economy

More sturdy exterior, Navigation system can be used by the passengers when the car is in drive mode

The Devil Is In the Details
By Savannah Cook

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had done so much research on the Prius that I was totally confident in my purchase. I have been so disappointed in some of the design features. The rear window is difficult to see out of because of a bar running horizontally across ... the dash dims when the headlights are turned on, making it difficult to see how fast you are going, and the dash is difficult to see in bright sunlight. The car salesman raved about the new seat fabric, but it is already stained. I would have preferred leather, but was talked out of it. Of course, the gas mileage can't be beat, but it's a shame the other elements don't measure up.

Gas mileage.

Poor tire and Nagivation Problems
By Pro. Env. Eng

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The typical Goodyear Integrity tires are very poor under wet and light snow conditions. My research at Tire Rack confirms my experience. I have decided to install Michelin Primacy MXV4s to increase the safety of driving under all conditions in eastern KS. The navigation suddenly lost its Bluetooth functions on the NAV system screen, no telephone icon anymore.

Put some high quality tires on this type of car, improve the seat sitting quality and add heat to the leather seats. Also improve reliability to the NAV system.

Jeep to Prius: Great! Even in the Snow
By mjacks

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I must admit that my biggest concern about trading my Jeep for a Prius was the extreme Chicago winters. Yes, the clearance is much lower, but I never once missed work because I could get through the snow. The interior is roomy and very well laid out. While it won't win any drag races, it has more than enough power to drive comfortably in any traffic condition. I will definitely buy another for my next car.

Gas Mileage, Ride, Comfort, Interior Features, Keyless entry, GPS, Bluetooth, flip down back seats.

I would love a sunroof (2010 has it). I wish the GPS system could be operated by a passenger while the car was in motion. Outer ring of wheel cover came off and have noticed that on other Prius' as well.

You want one of these. You do.
By Doug in NNY

I ordered this unit in September 2007, just before the economy went south. It is one of the best investments I've ever made. Dealer service has been outstanding, but all I've ever needed has been routine maintenance. This car is a joy to drive. I bought it in part as a trade-in hedge against purchasing a next-generation Prius (what holds its trade-in value on a Prius more than another Prius?) but I will hold off until the 2011 model year. I don't buy the first model year of anything. Over-the-road economy, honest 53 mpg. Around town in dead of winter (harsh in Northern NY State), 35-40 mpg. Around-town in summer, 44-48 mpg. Not a good car, a great car. Toyota's nailed it.

Mileage, overall comfort (back seats for adults is quite good), highway handling, sound system. Reliability. This thing starts right up in winter when it is minus 25 degrees Fahrenheit.

How do I turn off the backup beep? I'd like to be able to use the rear camera when driving forward. Also: install a sliding panel in each sun visor (the Honda Accord has them). Seat height adjustment needed. Also, better lumbar support (adjustable) as standard on all models.