Used 2008 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Disappointed in fuel economy
By reid

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had a 2007 Prius which got 47 to 53 mpg. This car was totaled and I was so happy with the car itself and then definitely the safety features. I purchased a 2008 Prius and now only get 36 to 43 mpg. I have been to a local dealer to no avail and I am heading to the dealership where I bought the car today. Leaving on big road trip in September, I hope they can do something!!

I like everything about the car except the mileage and the fact that they can't add Mexico to the GPS. The update costs for GPS is prohibitive.

Improve gas mileage on this vehicle.

Safety and reliability
By Snow

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I own a Prius for more than 18 months now. It's a fun car to drive with great fuel economy. The only thing that bothers me is how safe I am in this car. Had met with 2 accidents and the car got damaged badly in both. Luckily I was alone in the car on both the occasions. The body is not strong. A simple hit can cause bumps. Just wonder, is economy that better than the safety!!

Bluetooth, AC, rear mirror, fuel economy

More sturdy exterior, Navigation system can be used by the passengers when the car is in drive mode

The Devil Is In the Details
By Savannah Cook

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had done so much research on the Prius that I was totally confident in my purchase. I have been so disappointed in some of the design features. The rear window is difficult to see out of because of a bar running horizontally across ... the dash dims when the headlights are turned on, making it difficult to see how fast you are going, and the dash is difficult to see in bright sunlight. The car salesman raved about the new seat fabric, but it is already stained. I would have preferred leather, but was talked out of it. Of course, the gas mileage can't be beat, but it's a shame the other elements don't measure up.

Gas mileage.

Poor tire and Nagivation Problems
By Pro. Env. Eng

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The typical Goodyear Integrity tires are very poor under wet and light snow conditions. My research at Tire Rack confirms my experience. I have decided to install Michelin Primacy MXV4s to increase the safety of driving under all conditions in eastern KS. The navigation suddenly lost its Bluetooth functions on the NAV system screen, no telephone icon anymore.

Put some high quality tires on this type of car, improve the seat sitting quality and add heat to the leather seats. Also improve reliability to the NAV system.

Jeep to Prius: Great! Even in the Snow
By mjacks

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I must admit that my biggest concern about trading my Jeep for a Prius was the extreme Chicago winters. Yes, the clearance is much lower, but I never once missed work because I could get through the snow. The interior is roomy and very well laid out. While it won't win any drag races, it has more than enough power to drive comfortably in any traffic condition. I will definitely buy another for my next car.

Gas Mileage, Ride, Comfort, Interior Features, Keyless entry, GPS, Bluetooth, flip down back seats.

I would love a sunroof (2010 has it). I wish the GPS system could be operated by a passenger while the car was in motion. Outer ring of wheel cover came off and have noticed that on other Prius' as well.