Used 2008 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Rermarkable Car!
By Toby

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is the most remarkable car I have ever owned. It is economical, roomy, comfortable (I am 6'2" and have heard about how it doesn't fit tall people. Nonsense!), and fun to drive. I love the fact that it delivers great economy without producing tons of emissions while at the same time it is quick off the mark and able to climb mountains without hesitation (I have also heard about its supposed defects in this regard). I replaced the tires with Michelin Energy Savers A/S and saw the economy jump nearly 9%. I highly recommend those tires.

Looks, reliability, economy. I regularly get upwards of 52 mpg all around.

I don't like the back-up beep. The touch screen is invisible in bright sunlight. The tires are cheap and wear out quickly. There should be a lumbar support on the driver's side (at least). Heater wont go below 65 degrees. We like it cool in the winter.

Great Car!!
By Hugh

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Within months of purchase my wife and I drove to Western Montana (over the continental divide) and back to Minnesota. We got 53 MPG at a time when gas was about $4.00 a gallon. Extraordinary! There's plenty of room inside, but I do not like the touch screen -- you can't see it in bright sunlight. I'm glad they got rid of it (for the most part) in the new ones. I wouldn't trade this car for any other on the road. It's the best car I have ever owned. I disagree with those who find it slow off the mark. It has plenty of get up and go.

Economy and lack of pollution.

More leg room on passenger front side. It's a bit tight for long-legged passengers. Eliminate the touch screen. Lumbar support in the driver's seat.

Gas fillup
By Quinton Qualls

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Since purchasing this car we have had difficulty filling the gas tank. It continually cuts off and just keeps clicking off before we can complete filling the tank. Finally the tank was replaced but we still have the problem. What is the problem. Never had this problem with any other car.

Heat issues in Michigan
By Dan D.

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my Prius just before the economy crashed. Don't drive it in the winter as it takes forever to warm up and won't keep ice or snow buildup off the windshield. I'm concerned about comments on quitting for no reason and dead battery. I stored mine last winter and started it every couple of weeks with no problems. But didn't get it out until March. Mileage goes south when weather is cold. So I just drove my Pickup beginning in late Nov. until March. Also noted that tire wear is excessive. They must have used a cheap tire as OEM. Wouldn't buy another as insurance is high and needing a different vehicle for the seasons defeats economy of transportation. It's built well though.

fuel economy

heater is poor

Frequent Dead Battery
By candance king

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have a company car also, so whenever I don't drive the Prius for ten days, I find a dead battery! I've used up my AAA for the year already, and have an expensive repair ($120) from trying to open the back hatch- you are completely locked out! No one ever warned us about this! Don't go on vacation w/o getting your car a babysitter!! Also, I want to complain about an irritating design feature: when driving at night, there is a bad glare, a green bar of reflection onto the windshield right where you look to drive from the the display! If the top frame of it was extended a little, like a hood, it wouldn't happen. And I can't fix it. Same problem in the daytime, gps screen needs shade- bleached out.

GPS very good but you can't see it in the daytime without shading it, also, passenger can't find things while we're driving due to lockout safety. Bummer.

As above. Hard clearance to get in & out, especially if short & seat pulled forward, knees hit bad when turning to get out. Back up camera distance unusable, too hard to translate to visible reality. If u call it parking camera, ok! Need drawers under passenger seats- can't see front end car!