Used 2008 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Prius

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Worthwhile purchase!
By hondoman45

2008 Toyota Prius Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've waited a year to write this so as to have some experience with the car.
Was very hesitant to buy due to
fear of the unknown with the high voltage battery.
Can say now that this is not a concern as these fail rarely and with many miles and usually with at least a decade of time.
My dealership might replace 5-6 a year on the first generation (2001-2003), but 1-2 on this generation.
Not as expensive to replace as I thought, either, as I received quotes of $2500 parts and labor.
Realistically, that would be at least 12-15 years down the road.
I get about 44 mpg in the winter and 46-49 mpg in warm weather.
No repairs have been needed; easy to work on.

Gas mileage. Excellent quality. Great crash test ratings. The JBL stereo rocks. Lots of room. Hid lights are superior and are original units (some owners have issues; I have been lucky). Easy to work on as I change my own oil and cvt fluid. The dealer (Mark Miller Toyota) has done all recalls and goes the extra mile to make sure the car is running well. To date I have spent nothing on repairs, just a few bucks for cvt fluid and oil and filter. Also replaced the cabin and air filters. Go to Rockauto.com for better prices than Autozone and the dealership. Truly cheap to own and very reliable. Wish I would have bought one years ago. Will buy 2010 for the wife soon.

As many owners have said, the seats are not comfortable beyond a half hour or so. Not too bad for a short commute of 20 miles or so, but after an hour my back is sore. Body panels are easily dinged but the car is built light for better gas mileage. Hard to get much gas in the winter but don't exactly know why. I think the bladder in the tank shrinks with the cold. 5-6 gallons max fill in winter; 8-9 gallons max fill in summer. All these issues fixed in 2010. All in all just a wonderful car that saves me money daily.

avoid prius!!!
By poorvic2

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Unless you are Bill Gates with very deep pockets i strongly advise avoiding a Prius. They are overpriced, do not get the gas mileage claimed and, worse of all, have the same build quality as a Yugo! I dont know where all the positive comments are from by my experience with a 2008 prius has been nothing short of a disaster. Ignition battery went out in less than 2 mnoths. Cost 200. to replace. Water pump failed and warning light did not come on. Computer had failed and repair of 1000.00 added to my cost of running this junk. Mileage? less than 60.000 miles!! Come on a Ford Pinto would have run longer than that. Well, i learned by lesson – no more overpriced Toyotas!

147,000 miles so far, zero problem
By jimmybirdie

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am an extreme commuter and I would not have been able to do this without my beloved Prius. After 4 years I have about 147,000 miles on the car and have had zero problem so far. I average about 47 - 54 mpg depending on how fast I drive. If I drive 75 mph I will get about 45-47 mpg. If I drive 65 mph I would get around 52 mpg.

I still have the original brakes and my mechanic told me that it still has 75% of life left. This is due to regenerating braking and my most highway driving.

The OEM tires lasted 60k miles. I replaced them with the Michelin HydroEdge tires and after 87k they are still good for another 20k miles according to my mechanic.

50+ mpg back-up camera utility of hatch back design engine off at intersections/drive thrus smart key

Better comfort with driver and passenger seats.

good overall
By Jim

2008 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

the winter drop is beyond expected 5-7 mpg,comfort for 6'2" but agree lumbar support needed, nav is a waste in this day of cell phone nav,don't buy, got 63k on oe tires,some alignment issues, would like to see lineup expanded, apparently in works,have never achieved over 49.5 on highway 70 mph, no some getting 55 mpg at 55 mph

summer mpg,good overall ride for price

seats, nav, model with more volume,

White Elephant
By Sanjeev Gupta

2008 Toyota Prius Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Good vehicle. Comfortable driving but defeats the purpose of buying it. Mileage 49 for the first year, 46 for the second year, 44 in this third year. Recommended Tires very expensive ($108 against $60 for regular one), headlight HID bulbs burn out fast- Ultra expensive ($771.43 +Tax). Car can only be serviced at dealership and they charge a lot more than a regular service at Walmart. I do not see any savings.

Rear view Camera, Homelink Garage Door Opener.

Align the original intent of making this car with actual money savings.