Used 2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

LOVE IT
By hammdown

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I Am a home nurse in a very rural county and just love the mpg that I get. My husband and I try to see who can get the best mpg but I don't let him drive it very often though. I just love this car. We have owned Toyotas for years and this one is no disappointment at all.

Back-up camera.

No back-up beepe.r More comfortable seats with more adjustments.

Wonderful car, good choice for dog owner
By KE

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my Prius (pkg 2) for about 2 weeks and absolutely love it. My previous car was a small SUV. I'm getting more than double the gas mileage, with an average so far of 52 mpg per the car's computer, and slightly higher on my own calculation. Acceleration is more than adequate, even when entering the freeway with the a/c on. I'm impressed with the cargo space. I have a couple of 50 lb dogs who occasionally like to get wet/dirty; I thought I "needed" an SUV for this reason, but the Prius has been great (with the addition of a washable cargo area liner). It's easy to get dogs in/out and there is ample space for them to ride (the floor space is equivalent to my small SUV).

Hatchback design with ample cargo room, smart key system, steering wheel controls, MP3/iPod plug-in, fuel efficiency, lower emissions

Replace fabric on armrests with a more durable, cleanable material. No problems yet, but it looks like it could become shabby after a couple of years of use.

I did okay for myself
By Jim in Wimberley, Tx

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My soulmate wasn't sure about trading her Ford Escape, 20 mpg, since she loved the amount of rear storage space. After less than a week, she loves it. We were on a waiting list for 7 weeks for our Silver Pine, Pkg 2 Prius. The first two fill ups averaged 44.4 mpg which will get much better as we learn how to manage better fuel economy. The ride is wonderful, sound system very good, and it handles very well. With today's fuel prices I can't understand why other auto companies didn't develop a decent hybrid. Toyota will be laughing all the way to the bank for several years to come.

Fuel economy, very little road noise, smart key, rear view monitor when in reverse, no blind spots to speak of, ease of handling and it does cruise down the highway without any problems.

I'd suggest improvement in paint quality and colors.

Awesome Car
By Janet- NY

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my Prius for 10 months and I never looked back. Sold my (lemon) Audi A6 and my new prius is great. Truly a smart car. Love the smart Key, gas mileage. Passing the gas stations all the time. Everyone who gets in the car also comments how roomy the inside is. If you're thinking about it, stop thinking and do it!

Smart key.

Sun roof or convertible.

A very well designed vehicle.
By A Great Car

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Standard 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Prius is a very well engineered vehicle. I particularly like the field of view accompanied with the captain's seats make it almost like driving a bus or van. We like the performance, gas mileage, road handling, and all around comfort. This is one of the best car buying decisions my wife and I have made. We took the Prius on a round trip 969 miles and performed well, has plenty of power, and averaged 45.8 mpg. The dealer asked us if we wanted to trade it back in, the answer is a resounding no.

Power, mileage, field of view