Used 2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 209 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Relax and enjoy
By jimbryan

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback Touring 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

OK, I have 2 big BMW gas hogs, an X5 and a 545iA. Both are superb cars, but both egg you on to drive fast and aggressively. And both are overkill for trips to the grocery store, and a 7 mile commute to work. With the Prius, you feel relaxed driving, it eggs you to relax and take it easy. When the engine shuts off at a stoplight, I lose the angst of waiting at the light. This is a fantastic car for around town and short trips, it really works beautifully. The cargo space is also amazing, it holds almost as much as the X5 (not that the X5 is a big cargo vehicle), and on top of that are the very useful storage areas all over.

Smartkey system is great. You never have to take the key out of your pocket. It's as if the car recognizes you, and with the key in your pocket, it does. Makes dealing with putting a key in the ignition, or pressing a fob to unlock the door seem archaic.

Telescoping steering wheel. Up/down adjustment in front seats. Auto up/down for all windows, not just drivers.

Blown away
By Torosmaduro

2008 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I could write on and on about how much we like our car. In an effort to be brief I'll offer the items that could be improved. The A/C system is underpowered, It takes 15min to get a chill on during bright summer's day. Next I've never been able to put more than 10.5 gallons in the tank (specs put it at 11.9 gallons). The 10.5 was only after we ran out of gas and ran on electric for a half mile. Lastly this car gets blown around in crosswinds. If you're not paying attention you could end up in another lane.

47 mpg overall, sneaking up on people in parking lots (they never hear you coming).

Upgrade the a/c system.

LOVE my Prius!!!
By The Jedi Prius

I almost feel guilty about how much I enjoy my Prius. Going from my big, super-trimmed out (but warranty-expiring/$60 a week gas hog) Town & Country van, I worried the Prius would be a big step down in comfort but a huge step up in gas mileage w/ the security of being back under warranty. Forget worry--I'm wowed. Although it appears small, it's actually bigger than the Corolla, & the cabin is amazingly roomy, even for adults in the back. It has a respectable amount of cargo room, w/ 2 fold-flat rear seats which make for a very spacious hatchback. The navigation pkg is loaded w/ so many extras I haven't even begun to figure it all out. Cleverly engineered, sexy, fun 2 drive & very safe.

Fuel economy (46.2 mph avg!), extras- packed navigation sys w spot-on GPS route guidance, 6 CD changer w MP3 port, clever tranny shifter in dash w/ fuel-and-brake saving engine brake, backup camera, smart key, veh. stability sys, climate, audio, & nav/engine performance controls on steering wheel.

The biggest thing I miss is my multi-adjustable power driver's seat (the only scale from 1 to 10 markdown I made), needs "auto on" headlights as standard option (I have the Pkg 5 out of 6 trim levels), and that crazy backup beep should be audible o-u-t-s-i-d-e, not just inside.

80,000 miles and LOVE it!
By Ilya

Had Prius for about 80,000 miles. Car runs excellent. Love just about everything about it. Driving it feels just like driving a Lexus. It easily gets 100 miles per hour (speed) yet ride is very smooth. This car allows me to be able to commute (daily) for about 100 miles each way.

1) Ergonomics: steering wheel (oval), dash, rear. Awesome ergonomics - love it! Great steering wheel. 2) Windshield provides great view. 3) Gas...of course. Does not get any better. 4) Interior materials.

1) Does not go up hill on snow - at all. 2) Plastic interior scratches too easy. 3) Make it wider and lift the front a bit up. 4) Take advantage of solar power.

Best Hybrid Car Hands Down
By Mark Levin

I purchased a 2008 Silver Touring Edition with package 6. I am very impressed with the entire car. I have been averaging 52 to 64.9 miles per gallon on my 24 mile city commute to work. The A/C and Bluetooth work great. I also enjoy the aux jack with my iPod. The upgraded sound system is excellent. As far as I am concerned this is the best hybrid car available and blows the Honda Civic away in versatility and mileage. Tough to get, but worth the wait. The Touring Edition adds some flair with the 16" wheels and larger spoiler. The extra stabilizer bars are also included but are not visible. My other car is a Lexus so I am very familiar with quality.

Leather, navigation, bluetooth, upgraded audio system w/aux jack, back up camera, smart key, ample storage spaces.

I understand the front end will be redesigned in 2010. That is the only part of the car I think looks a little wimpy at this time. The face lift will only improve this already great car.