Used 2006 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 256 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (256 reviews )

What a Great Car
By Katherine

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my car new in 2005. I am six feet tall and the car is very comfortable front and back. I get between 46 and 52 MPG. I watch the consumption level which changed my driving habits. No jackrabbit starts and I drive a with my cruise control a lot. We have mountainous uphills and I've never had trouble passing on them - lots of get up and go! Have had no problems with it. You can stuff a lot of stuff into this car. I have always owned Toyotas and this is my favorite.

Backup camera, great mileage, better for the environment.

Ditch the backup beeper. Allow the power windows to open without being in "Run" mode.

Great Car!!
By Kirk

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a wonderful car, we bought it to replace a 06 Chevy truck. We went from 14mpg to 55mpg in the summer!!! We see 50mpg in winter and 55mpg in the summer.

Gas mileage and fun to drive

Make it a PHEV

BULB
By jay

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It cost $238.00 to have a headlight bulb replaced!!! Do not buy this car. If I knew I was going to pay BMW prices for things light lightbulbs, then I may as well have bought a BMW. It was 5000 miles out of warranty, and not covered under extended warranty - another ripoff. With the economy the way it is and people trying to keep their homes etc., nobody is going to buy a Prius now that I have educated them about the price just to replace a lightbulb. Toyota would not do nothing for me stating that they had already reduced the price from 500.00 dollars!! This is my last Prius. Please do not buy this car, because they always find a way to avoid the warranty coverage.

good milage

put regular lights in it that don't cost 238 dollars per bulb!!!!

Prius Gets Around
By Chopperman

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My bottom line - I'll trade my Prius on a new Prius when I'm ready for a new car. Much improved generation technology; drastic difference from earliest models. Handling and ride improve noticeably with premium tires. Great cornering abilities. Mileage and performance are very sensitive to air filter cleanliness. Excellent mileage at sea level and on flat terrain (VA Beach ~65 MPG/~61MPG along Lake Erie). No more loss of power on mountain drives (Sideling Hill, MD). Great in snow and on ice. Looks are OK, if you're into pregnant roller skates but very few of us buy it for the looks. So far, no repairs just oil and filter changes. I bought a 100,000 extended warranty with the car, not needed.

Back up camera, audio jack, cruise control, mileage, storage space/hatch back, leg room, tire pressure sensor, conversations at the fuel pump

Traction control frequently engages to the detriment of pulling into traffic. NEEDS to have a manual on/off switch for this feature. Winter mileage needs improvement - drops ~25% with cold weather/winter gas blends. Could definitely stand a premium sound system. OEM tires are atrocious.

Great Car
By chuck37

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was concerned about the small size and comfort when I bought my Prius. I was surprised to find it is neither small or uncomfortable. It is listed as mid-sized. My 6'6" 270lb son is comfortable in the back seat. The driver's seat will not move back far enough for his comfort, but he can drive it. We did not change our driving habits to accommodate mileage, but average 49.3 mpg. This has been for the last 8000 mi. I have only one complaint, at freeway speeds there is much air and road noise. I am very pleased with the comfort and performance. I eagerly await the plug-in model. I will get one at my first opportunity.

Styling, comfort, gas mileage, performance, reliability.

Better sound-proofing, a GPS that is more intuitive, plug-in.