Used 2006 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 255 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (255 reviews )

This is the best car I've ever owned
By spaam2021

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The gas savings is obvious -- I'm getting 50MPG with 90% highway driving. If I drive in the city only, I can get 60+MPG. My fuel costs went from $200+ per month to under $100 with barely any effort.

The car has also been highly reliable. After all this time I've owned it, it didn't need anything beyond basic maintenance. Sometimes it doesn't even need anything beyond an oil change.

I also LOVE the interior in this thing. The 'Start' ignition button, joystick shifter, LCD dashboard, multifunction display....it all looks very futuristic to me.

I wish the car has a temperature gauge on the LCD dashboard and that it is more comfortable to ride, but otherwise, it's an extremely great car!

High MPG, multifunction display and LCD dashboard, ability to drive on electricity at low speeds

The car could be quieter and more comfortable. The audio system could also use some improvements. There tends to be lag between songs and powering up when using MP3 CDs.

This has been an AMAZING CAR!!
By priusmatt

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my 2006 Prius V for a year and a half and just had to write a review because it has been such a wonderful car.
I bought this car in May 10 w/ 80k miles on it and was a little worried at first because of the high miles.
I ended up getting a smokin deal & the only fixes that this car has needed has been an A/C fan regulator, front light bulbs, and the typical oil change, brakes, tires.
I now have 122,000 miles on this car (I drive about 3,000 miles a month) and man, what an excellent car!
I have range 55-70 mpg (yes 70!) here in Phx. So, if you are considering used, go for it! This is a GREAT CAR that runs well as the miles get up there. Trading for an 11 Prius this month!

Amazing gas miles, ESP as you learn to drive these cars. The Bluetooth is awesome, backup camera great (will get one on every car from here on out), CD and JBL sounds really wonderful, and the iPod adapter - all a must. Especially love that w/ the smart key you can't lock your keys in the car! (have done about 8 x so far,..but the car won't let you lock me in there...lol - a real life saver.). Storage is plenty (and I have 2 kids), & the overall feel of the car is really ++. I am a BMW guy (had an M5 and M Roadster), and decided to change for the gas mileage. You won't regret it once you buy your Prius. Getting great mileage is a fun "game", and to drive 3-4 miles w no engine on? WOW!!!

Better paint on the hood (some rock chips showing),.. But actually not bad at all for 122k miles. Haven't really used the nav much (I use google maps on my bberry), but all else has been wonderful. Looking fwd to the 2011, and am passing on the 2010 b/c I have heard some issues with the first year of the model change. Will def be a hybrid driver for life. Have a rental car now that gets 25 mpg,..and HATING it! Lol!

6 Year / 100K Mile Update
By fido1

A quick update...
The car is still running great after almost 100K miles.

Items replaced - tires, wipers, front light bulbs (I drive with them on all the time), water pump (covered by my 100K extended warranty), and a recall for the hybrid coolant system tank, air filters, plugs, and serpentine belt, and full coolant change out (I do everything early).

Live in New England - get 47 mpg in spring, summer, fall, and 44.5 mpg in winter driving.

Based on last oil change, estimate that I still have 35% of brake pads left.
Will be replacing my floormats soon, driver side wore out.

Well built car - no problems - would / will buy another when time comes. Easy to drive. Fantastic gas mileage. The sound system is not too bad.

Increase sound insulation. Make seats more comfortable. Day time running lights - this should be a no brainer given safety studies.

no regrets
By sublimesipping

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

coming up on the 5 year anniversary of this big purchase for us- we thought long and hard about the investment on so many levels.
happy to say 5 years later we have no regrets and are very happy with this car.
Reliability has been outstanding.
Only routine maintenance with the exception of a leaking water pump caught by the dealer doing routine oil change and repaired under warrranty at no cost to us.

57,000 and no brake jobs yet, curous to hear from other owners as to when those brakes will finally go. ride has been great- we have made several trips across PA to Pittsburgh and back as well as some NE sojourns and those long rides have been great as has the regular city commute of my wife

Agree with previous posts the stock tires suck big time, we changed at 28,000 to top of the line goodyears from a prius bloc recommendation and have noticed a significant differnece in MGG almost a 4 mpg drop still would trade this for safety anytime. noticing some minor body integrety issues along the bumper line. Not sure if I want a new prius- have heard that some trade off in weight and size both. Now that the care is paid off and we now have baby the prius hatch comes in such handy useage. A great city car, great commuter car, and great car for a young family. Hopin to drive this thing to200,000.

Traded a 2008 touring for a 2006 base
By mike

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drove a 2008 touring prius for 1500 miles and averaged 42 mpg. Then I bought a 2006 base prius and I'm averaging over 48 mpg for the first 100 miles. Maybe the weight of the car and the tires makes a difference in the mpg rating. I do think the 2008 has better sound deadening insulation which may make the car heavier. I previously owned a bmw 335, bmw 525, infiniti m35, toyota avalon, subaru legacy, mazda 3, saturn l200, mustang gt, saab 9-3, honda accord, honda passport, nissan truck, and chevy cavalier but the prius is my favorite simply because of the gas mileage, low maintenance cost and quiet ride. Bought the 2006 base with 49k miles certified for $13,500--excellent condition inside/out.

bluetooth, aux port for ipod, fuel economy, quiet engine, interior volume, smart key system

There is too much plastic and cloth in the interior-the arm rests should be plastic and not cloth.