Used 2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 256 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (256 reviews )

New car owner
By dave

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just purchased the car July of 2006. I have approximately 2000 miles. The MPG seems to be improving. If you stay at 55 mph , the MPG get better. I started at 41.1 MPH, and now I am up to 48.6 MPG, staying at slower speeds. Will update.

Touch screen. Sorry I didn't have more money to get the GPS, but I did get all the safety features. Also it has stabilty control. Statistically they say vehicle stability control could save 10,000 lives.

Front seat could be more adjustable. Seat should be able to go back more. I am surprise that it is a comfortable ride from such a small car. I do have trouble with a back problem at times, when I do a lot of driving, and at the present time, I get no backaches.

All around fun car to drive
By Dougie

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've never had so much fun driving a car in my life. It's a real kick employing special techniques -- like "pulse and glide" to maximize fuel economy. But even if you ignore special techniques, you'll just love watching your mpg screen tell you exactly how well you're doing in terms of mpg for every 5 minute driving segment. I can often record 100 mpg segments when in ideal driving conditions -- i.e., infrequent stopping, mid-speed driving. And all the while you're having fun, you can feel good about reducing pollution by 90% as compared to the average new car. With a comfortable ride, more than adequate acceleration, and top safety features, this car is hard to beat. I love it!

MPG screens, and hybrid engine energy flows are a blast to watch. The upgraded JBL stereo system sounds quite good, and the 6-CD changer comes in quite handy. Auxiliary input for your iPod is great, too. Smart key function is the utmost in convenience, and lots of nice compartments and cupholders

Perhaps a shade to keep main energy/mpg screen more easily visible in the sunlight. Multiple mpg counters, so that one can keep track of trip mpg, without losing overall tank or longer period mpg count. Ability to customize button functions on the steering wheel. But these are minor complaints.

Prius 2006
By Scott Ayliffe

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car! If this were a normal 4 or 6 cylinder gas engine car, it would still be a fantastic ride. The "fit and feel" is tight as you would expect from Toyota engineering. Gas mileage (real world) is closer to 39-40 mpg, but that's driving with AC blowing full blast (which drains batteries a little faster therefore requiring gas engine recharging at highway cruise speeds a little more often). It's fast off the line, too. Very quick car. If I drove it more efficiently, I would probably be getting better gas mileage. Would buy it again in a heartbeat !

I like the whole display screen arrangement for AC, audio and fuel economy - it really cleans up the normal clutter that usually shows up on a cars dashboard.

More remote control camera ability to show how close I am to curb I am parking next to and ability to see behind me while in "D"rive.

Excellent!
By Bill Barnes

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has been a joy to own not only because of its reliability and functionality, but also because it is super fun to drive. We were amazed immediately at how stable and solid the car feels. I have no regrets at all.

I don't think people realize - this car feels like a 6 cylinder. It has great torque and can easily pass, etc... really nice acceleration. I tromp around town (only - very little highway) and get well over 40 mpg. Also - space inside is just amazing.

The front support bars (between the windshield and the doors) are thick and angled in such a way that they create a pretty big blind spot, particularly passenger side. Change? Also, make seat height adjustable. I am 6'4" and have to duck a little at times to see stoplights - let me lower the seat!

Fantastic Car for what it is.
By sshuit

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great car if you buy it with the expectation that it is a fuel sipping multi-purpose vehicle. The problems with it that I have encountered are mostly minor. The seats are not very comfortable. 45-50 MPG is about the real world mileage you can expect. Performance is surprising but unspirited. (I am a former 3-series BMW driver.) It is the perfect commuter car and has plenty of room for 4. The high tech features are awesome. Bluetooth, touchscreen controls, stereo with 6 disc MP3 player.

Fuel economy, touchscreen, keyless operation.

More comfortable seats, more steering feel, lithium ion batteries with plug in hybrid ability, no lockout on audio/nav controls when moving.