Used 2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 255 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (255 reviews )

Fun to Drive
By katway

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Absolutely the most fun to drive car I've owned. I've owned sports cars, SUVs, etc. But this one takes the cake. I'm always eager to take the car out for a spin, run errands, etc. It has a nice ride, is comfortable, roomy, and really a complete all around good vehicle.

Cargo/passenger space, steering wheel and voice activated controls, back-up camera, navigation, bluetooth, silent engine, etc.

Incorporate body mouldings for doors and rear bumper guard.

More than I expected
By Bryan Killen

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is easily the best car I've ever owned, I love driving it. It's got plenty of room (I'm 6' 1"), surprising power, and the interior is top notch. I'll never own a conventional drivetrain car again, there aren't any sacrifices because of the hybrid system. Plus, it drives like a car that costs thousands more. Power is seamless due to the high tech transmission.

Back up camera, smart key, 500 miles/10 gallons of gas, multifunction display, high quality interior.

I've heard that the next generation Prius will be able to be plugged in for engine free driving for 18 miles, a suggestion that is already being worked on.

First Impressions
By pehayes

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Well these impressions are based on the first 1500 miles. I bought the least expensive Prius (only with option 2 package). Car is responsive, runs smoothly, drives well in city or highway. Mileage is better than I thought it would be. Tax credit was a major factor in choosing Prius.

Gas mileage - I am getting 50+ mpg. for the first 1500 miles.

More comfortable seats

Nice Prius
By ProudPriusOwner

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Read about it, bought it, love it. The interior is amazing. I'm just waiting for PHEV now.

Room and fuel economy

Make it a PHEV

New car owner
By dave

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just purchased the car July of 2006. I have approximately 2000 miles. The MPG seems to be improving. If you stay at 55 mph , the MPG get better. I started at 41.1 MPH, and now I am up to 48.6 MPG, staying at slower speeds. Will update.

Touch screen. Sorry I didn't have more money to get the GPS, but I did get all the safety features. Also it has stabilty control. Statistically they say vehicle stability control could save 10,000 lives.

Front seat could be more adjustable. Seat should be able to go back more. I am surprise that it is a comfortable ride from such a small car. I do have trouble with a back problem at times, when I do a lot of driving, and at the present time, I get no backaches.