Used 2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 258 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (258 reviews )

Must drive it to see what it's all about
By amh

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Coming from a 1992 BMW 325i, I have no regrets in choosing the '06 Prius! I am saving $100/month in gas, and I don't feel like I've compromised anything. Granted, the BMW is an excellent car and I believe it is the best handling small sedan available, but the Prius has so many 'luxury' features standard that I don't think it's downgrade in anyway. I have no hesitation in recommending the Prius to anyone looking for a fun yet very practical car!

The multifunction display that shows the current fuel consumption, radio and climate control settings. Excellent gas mileage! I get at least twice as much as I did with the BMW. Keyless entry, ABS, power windows, great AC, excellent radio, traction control!

The interior fabric could be improved. Fortunately there are aftermarket seat covers available for not much money. I like leather, but it wasn't worth it for the entire factory package.

Best car to own for fuel and family!!
By bnonhof

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife has been driving the Prius back and forth 160 miles a day to work. She puts on 4K a month. She drives 95% highway miles and she has been getting 55-57 mpg when the weather got nice and 47-49 when it is colder. You can't beat that at $3.00 for a gallon of gas! I am a big guy (6'4", 300 lbs) and I fit just fine in this car. I can even sit in the back if I have to (my hair just brushes the top). Go Toyota!

MPG, computer screen shows mpg all the time and teaches you how to drive the car to get the best mpg. Radio controls on wheel. Lots of room (see review). Easy to fold seats. Small outside to fit in tight spots.

Maybe a better system for the rear window wiper (blocks some of the vision). More sleek, sporty look. That being said, if the car stays the same, I would buy it again in a second!!

I love it!
By jan

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drove all the Hybrids before deciding on the Prius, more options, comfort and design were superior. Also road noise is far better than the Honda. Seats are very comfortable. I have gone on two long trips already and have loved every minute. I have averaged between 52 and 72 MPG... very satisified. And RED IS the color! I have the option 4 package and it has all I need.

My key stays in my purse. Comfortable. Savings at the gas station and averaging 58 MPG. I can lay the back seats down and haul more than most SUVs!

The shiny black in areas of the front. Around radio and cupholders always looks dusty. All else is perfect!

Fun to Drive
By katway

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Absolutely the most fun to drive car I've owned. I've owned sports cars, SUVs, etc. But this one takes the cake. I'm always eager to take the car out for a spin, run errands, etc. It has a nice ride, is comfortable, roomy, and really a complete all around good vehicle.

Cargo/passenger space, steering wheel and voice activated controls, back-up camera, navigation, bluetooth, silent engine, etc.

Incorporate body mouldings for doors and rear bumper guard.

More than I expected
By Bryan Killen

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is easily the best car I've ever owned, I love driving it. It's got plenty of room (I'm 6' 1"), surprising power, and the interior is top notch. I'll never own a conventional drivetrain car again, there aren't any sacrifices because of the hybrid system. Plus, it drives like a car that costs thousands more. Power is seamless due to the high tech transmission.

Back up camera, smart key, 500 miles/10 gallons of gas, multifunction display, high quality interior.

I've heard that the next generation Prius will be able to be plugged in for engine free driving for 18 miles, a suggestion that is already being worked on.