Used 2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 258 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (258 reviews )

the best kept secrect in auto industry
By car crazy

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car about 4,000 miles and I am still amazed by it. After buying it, my wife made me sell her LS430 Lexus since she quit driving it completely. I really feel less tired after a long trip than I did in my Lexus. Many people have stopped me in parking lots and asked about it, and I have never met a person that has one that did not love it. If more people drove hybirds, we would be exporting oil not to mention what it would do to the environment. Believe it or not, this is about the 10th year that this car has been----and it is really perfected.

The way it handles; the way it rides;great gas mileage (although no where near what the window sticker says) but still a resspectible 45 mpg overall; unbelievable get up and go for such a small engine.

could use better material on seats and bigger tires

My Prius Experience
By Sparkle

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love the fuel economy, the comfort of the back of the driver's seat, windshield visibilty. It's fun to drive. Improvements needed: --The inside back-up beep, beep, beep distracts my visual concentration. I strongly dislike this feature and I would feel safer without it. --The forward visual field of the low beam headlamps cuts off far too short as soon as the car begins a downgrade. I don't like this. --The driver's seat bottom (of the car) needs to be more cushy My butt and legs are uncomfortable after 1/2 hours on the road. --I haven't seen 60mpg except for a few seconds after filling the car up with gas. I avg. about 50 mpg. I am still happy to be driving a Prius!

Fuel economy, color (Citrus Pine-or something like that), parking lot sociability with other Prius owners and would-be oglers.

In addition to the above, I would prefer the climate controls to be on a lever that I can slide without having to look at the touch panel.

It's mostly love!
By meshee

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Driving my Prius is great fun. It gets very good gas milage, but no where near the 60 it advertises. My average is 43mpg. Still better than most 4 cyl. With that said, the only other problem I have is the interior display (heat, radio, etc). It's displayed on a cool, TV like screen, but you have to jump to different screens to change each thing. i.e. You want to change your heat to defrost, or change the station on your radio. There's lots that can be done on the steering wheel, but I find that equally annoying. If given the choice, you definatley want the rear camera (when you put in R a rear view comes up on that screen). But GET ONE, save yourself some money & save our planet!

Rearview camera Constant, current mpg display Good gas milage (not what's advertised, but still good) Price is right Smooth ride My 6'2" husband drives it comfortably My 18 year old and his friends thinks it's cool

Change the fancy screen to be used only for the rearview camera. Bring back basic knobs, slides, for my radio, heat and air

Hard to beat!
By Watermanjr

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have moved from a Volvo into the Prius since July. I have been pleasantly surprised with every aspect of the Prius. If I could change anything it would be the seat design. The seat is somewhat less comfortable when compared to the Volvo.

Smart key.

Front seats need more adjustments.

Not as well as expected.
By LEE

2006 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am somewhat disappointed in the mileage. Over all I am getting about 46 mpg.And I baby it. I bought it used. in excellent condition. It had 5300 miles on it. I have not had any serious problems. GPS map feature leaves something to be desired. Toyota installed the latest program for maps. Some small areas I had are now not on the new level program. The paint is really poor. It shows the smallest maring.

Overall this is the best economy car I have ever owned. I like the shifing handle feature. The transmission is a good idea. Thje outer shape of the vehicle is very good. The inside space is much better than it appears from the outside.

Wind noise at the back windows when opened needs to be silenced.AM radio needs reception improvement. Paint quality is very poor. I shows even the slightest rub. Looks like scratch marks. It must have a better final finish applied.