Used 2006 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 256 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Prius

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (256 reviews )

It's mostly love!
By meshee

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Driving my Prius is great fun. It gets very good gas milage, but no where near the 60 it advertises. My average is 43mpg. Still better than most 4 cyl. With that said, the only other problem I have is the interior display (heat, radio, etc). It's displayed on a cool, TV like screen, but you have to jump to different screens to change each thing. i.e. You want to change your heat to defrost, or change the station on your radio. There's lots that can be done on the steering wheel, but I find that equally annoying. If given the choice, you definatley want the rear camera (when you put in R a rear view comes up on that screen). But GET ONE, save yourself some money & save our planet!

Rearview camera Constant, current mpg display Good gas milage (not what's advertised, but still good) Price is right Smooth ride My 6'2" husband drives it comfortably My 18 year old and his friends thinks it's cool

Change the fancy screen to be used only for the rearview camera. Bring back basic knobs, slides, for my radio, heat and air

Hard to beat!
By Watermanjr

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have moved from a Volvo into the Prius since July. I have been pleasantly surprised with every aspect of the Prius. If I could change anything it would be the seat design. The seat is somewhat less comfortable when compared to the Volvo.

Smart key.

Front seats need more adjustments.

Not as well as expected.
By LEE

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am somewhat disappointed in the mileage. Over all I am getting about 46 mpg.And I baby it. I bought it used. in excellent condition. It had 5300 miles on it. I have not had any serious problems. GPS map feature leaves something to be desired. Toyota installed the latest program for maps. Some small areas I had are now not on the new level program. The paint is really poor. It shows the smallest maring.

Overall this is the best economy car I have ever owned. I like the shifing handle feature. The transmission is a good idea. Thje outer shape of the vehicle is very good. The inside space is much better than it appears from the outside.

Wind noise at the back windows when opened needs to be silenced.AM radio needs reception improvement. Paint quality is very poor. I shows even the slightest rub. Looks like scratch marks. It must have a better final finish applied.

Must drive it to see what it's all about
By amh

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Coming from a 1992 BMW 325i, I have no regrets in choosing the '06 Prius! I am saving $100/month in gas, and I don't feel like I've compromised anything. Granted, the BMW is an excellent car and I believe it is the best handling small sedan available, but the Prius has so many 'luxury' features standard that I don't think it's downgrade in anyway. I have no hesitation in recommending the Prius to anyone looking for a fun yet very practical car!

The multifunction display that shows the current fuel consumption, radio and climate control settings. Excellent gas mileage! I get at least twice as much as I did with the BMW. Keyless entry, ABS, power windows, great AC, excellent radio, traction control!

The interior fabric could be improved. Fortunately there are aftermarket seat covers available for not much money. I like leather, but it wasn't worth it for the entire factory package.

Best car to own for fuel and family!!
By bnonhof

2006 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife has been driving the Prius back and forth 160 miles a day to work. She puts on 4K a month. She drives 95% highway miles and she has been getting 55-57 mpg when the weather got nice and 47-49 when it is colder. You can't beat that at $3.00 for a gallon of gas! I am a big guy (6'4", 300 lbs) and I fit just fine in this car. I can even sit in the back if I have to (my hair just brushes the top). Go Toyota!

MPG, computer screen shows mpg all the time and teaches you how to drive the car to get the best mpg. Radio controls on wheel. Lots of room (see review). Easy to fold seats. Small outside to fit in tight spots.

Maybe a better system for the rear window wiper (blocks some of the vision). More sleek, sporty look. That being said, if the car stays the same, I would buy it again in a second!!