Used 2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 617 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (617 reviews )

A long term family member
By Richard Clark

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have 112,000 miles and have never spent any money on it except for routine maintenance, tires, brakes, etc. The back seat has more room than our 2016 Prius. 35+ MPG with my very heavy foot.

Best car I've ever owned in 50 years!!!
By Roadside Wonder

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great comfort, reliability, and saves a ton of money! Best car ever!!!

Comfort needs work
By Paul Stroud

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

OK - I'm a big guy but this car has always seemed small/cramped to me. No heated seats ? Really?

.... But it's practical for god's sake!!!
By The Davy

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Practicality is the name of the Prius's game. This was never more true than with this generation of the quintessential hybrid we all know (and love?). I drove this car for 4 years after my father darn near drove it into the ground, and still sold it for a grand with a gash in the side and 286,000 miles. We had to replace the hybrid battery once, near the half-life of the car, and the Toyota dealership was never exactly wallet-friendly for any general part replacements (I own a Kia now and have been treated like a saint in their stores comparatively). Let's start under the hood: everyone knows there is NO reason to drive the Prius for fun... but I'm here to dispute that claim. The CVT and electric torque make it feel much peppier than it is, especially in city driving. The other great thing about it being a TOYOTA continuously variable unit is that you NEVER feel any transmission hiccups. It didn't age a day over the span of 12 years. I could say more about Toyota's reliability, but I'd rather move onto the complaints I might file, that will have Toyota loyalists bashing my door down for sure. INTERIOR: It is so darn loud. The engine drones (and I'm not even a CVT hater, personally), you hear ALL the wind, and you hear ALL the road. I get that it is built to be a machine of efficiency, but I can't be the only one who wants to be able to have a front seat-back seat conversation without the necessitation of a megaphone. The materials are more of the same. "Keep it light!" shouts Toyota. "It'll help fuel economy!" Well, sure I was still getting 38-42 MPG by the time I gave it up, and I know hybrid technology was newer and more expensive in 2005, but by golly if I don't end up with fragmented elbow joints from simply resting my elbows on the center armrest and the door panel. Yeesh. That being said, just TRY to scratch that plastic on the door panel. You can't do it. So good for Toyota on that one, I suppose. The seats have no vertical adjustors, so even my 5'6 frame was wedged tight between the seat and the ceiling no matter what kind of sorcery I tried to work with the horizontal positioning, bearing in mind that I also had to keep the IMPOSSIBLY stout steering wheel column at (very short) arm's length, since there was no telescoping to be had. BUT, the seats are very comfortable if you ignore the feeling of the ceiling liner involuntarily restyling your hair. This car was more abused than used in the time that my family owned it. Two kids essentially grew up in this car, spilling ranch dressing and cheeto dust and various other multicolored foods onto the beige interior fabrics. It may or may not have had a frustrated foot jammed down onto the pedal a few times. This is a car that CAN stand up to the abuse. The sheet metal is definitely thin, but the paint must have been zealously applied, since it seems you could not make a CHIP in that stuff if you were to drop a boulder on the car. And considering the reliability track record, the car could probably drive away from said boulder drop. The instrumentation inside is silly, and no matter how long you live with the car, you will never get used to looking at a digital speedometer that also happens to offset toward the CENTER of the car (so the passenger can critique your speed as well?), or the fact that you must toggle through the touch screen interface just to adjust the air conditioning. You can pack for seven different camping trips at once in a car with this much storage space. The rear seats fold nearly flush with the floor of the trunk, making for a maddeningly convenient hatchback plateau. Legroom in the back is adequate, except in the center, especially when the potentially groin-intrusive cupholders are in use. Headroom goes on for days and visibility is such that it feels as though you're driving a greenhouse. Buy this car and love it. Drive it like a go-kart or like a U-Haul. There should be no middle ground.

Great car - some replacements
By Stephanie Taylor

2005 Toyota Prius Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car, great gas mileage, great handling. Had to replace rear battery for nearly $400.00. Had to change rear light bulb and license plate bulbs -but inexpensive. The first rear battery was replaced at $40,000 by AAA for around $100.00 and lasted a year. The second rear battery was replaced by Toyota at 50,000 and is guaranteed. Also had to replace the key fob - normally cost $150.00 and Toyota gave it to me for $100.00. Original tires lasted until 55,000 miles and then two front tires needed replacing. Internal air filter replaced - $50.00. Don't let them change transmission fluid unless dirty because it is not necessary and costs around $100.00. Have regular oil changes by Toyota only every 3000 miles. The only instrumentation that is very annoying and serves no purpose is the incessant beeping that the car makes when in reverse. This is only heard when you are inside not outside.